LMA trick

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTGas2B

Cloudy and 50
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Learned a neat little LMA trick on Friday. Trying to place a disposable LMA classic. Can't quite get to reach around and seat properly. So, attending tells me to grab and ET tube stylet (the dispoable type that bend and hold their shape). Place it into the LMA. Bend the LMA, so now it holds its shape, like the fast track LMA. One solid push and it fits right in. Pull out the stylet, inflate. Great fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Yup. I do it frequently. I use a little lido ointment on the stylet so it slides out better. Very slick trick.

good tip.............ill try it.

Another tip is any supraglottic device such as the LMA, lift the lower jaw instead of just mouth opening..........hook lower jaw with thumb and lift up............lma falls rite in like butter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I place yankuer suction tip (with suction tube disconnected) into the tip of the LMA on the back side of it. I place the tip of the yankuer in the tip of the LMA and guide it down helping to make the curve and seating it in place. I did this frequently but lately I have not needed to do this (it must be technique and familiarity). Another way is to insert it upside down and once you are around the bend twist it back forward and seat it. I could go on and on. I have seen many different ways. Anyone familiar with the "taco fold"?

Noyac said:
I place yankuer suction tip (with suction tube disconnected) into the tip of the LMA on the back side of it. I place the tip of the yankuer in the tip of the LMA and guide it down helping to make the curve and seating it in place. I did this frequently but lately I have not needed to do this (it must be technique and familiarity). Another way is to insert it upside down and once you are around the bend twist it back forward and seat it. I could go on and on. I have seen many different ways. Anyone familiar with the "taco fold"?

Surely JPP is familiar with the taco fold .... he often shares his aspiration to one day manage a Taco Bell. :laugh: