lma with stylet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegasman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody do this? One CRNA in particular at my hospital takes a stylet and puts it in the lma classic to make it curved similar to a fast track. He swears by this and goes on and on about the thousands of lmas he has placed. Several of the other nurses do it too. I don't really see the point as I never had any trouble in the first place.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
anybody do this? One CRNA in particular at my hospital takes a stylet and puts it in the lma classic to make it curved similar to a fast track. He swears by this and goes on and on about the thousands of lmas he has placed. Several of the other nurses do it too. I don't really see the point as I never had any trouble in the first place.

I would ask him why he feels the need to add a stylet. I've the LMA classic in many variations and never had difficulty (except for twice as a CA-1 (on the same day) -- my attending couldn't get it either so we masked the patients).

from the small number of lmas i have placed, using a stylet seems completely unncessary...why one more sharp thing in the airway if you don't need it?

Gee, and I've placed thousands with........................let's see...........................oh yeah, nothing. I wish someone had told me I was doing it wrong. ;)