LOA (depression & anxiety)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwaway19

Reaction score
Prior to starting school, I had been seen by mental health providers at my undergraduate school for depression and anxiety. I had tried both medications and counseling but to no avail. Over the summer, I tried several types of medications and have yet to find one that’s effective. On top of that, I was working full-time in a very stressful environment, which only exacerbated my mental health issues. I began seeing a new mental health provider as soon as I started school, however the provider was not able to make any additional progress. During the fall semester, I was able to “power through” at the expense of my mental health. After returning from winter break, I noticed that my depression had only continued to get worse and I was unable to motivate myself to keep up with the course work, let alone normal every day activities.

I chose to take a leave of absence, because I refuse to go through with the semester and fail my classes (I actually did very well last semester). I guess I'm just looking for validation about my decision. For me, I feel as though this is ultimately the best decision in the long run. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to find the right medications in time and won't be able to rejoin next years class. Does anyone have any experience or advice they could share with me. Desperately needing words of encouragement.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You absolutely made the right choice. Sorry I don't have any advice but sending you good vibes.

Reactions: 2 users
Prior to starting school, I had been seen by mental health providers at my undergraduate school for depression and anxiety. I had tried both medications and counseling but to no avail. Over the summer, I tried several types of medications and have yet to find one that’s effective. On top of that, I was working full-time in a very stressful environment, which only exacerbated my mental health issues. I began seeing a new mental health provider as soon as I started school, however the provider was not able to make any additional progress. During the fall semester, I was able to “power through” at the expense of my mental health. After returning from winter break, I noticed that my depression had only continued to get worse and I was unable to motivate myself to keep up with the course work, let alone normal every day activities.

I chose to take a leave of absence, because I refuse to go through with the semester and fail my classes (I actually did very well last semester). I guess I'm just looking for validation about my decision. For me, I feel as though this is ultimately the best decision in the long run. However, I'm worried that I won't be able to find the right medications in time and won't be able to rejoin next years class. Does anyone have any experience or advice they could share with me. Desperately needing words of encouragement.
Very sorry to hear if this, OP.

Take the time to go and heal. Have the MD degree means nothing if it breaks you.

As a teaching moment to the rest of you, this is why I say med school is a furnace, and people with mental health issues need to have their issues under 100% control.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fully agree with others. You made the right decision.
It might be helpful to recognize that your self-worth is not defined by a successful career in medicine.
I would go so far to say that anyone (and not necessarily OP) who is in medicine to buttress low self-esteem would be much better off investing energy in self-reflection and addressing root cause.

Reactions: 1 user

LOA is the right move. Don't second guess yourself.

Very sorry to hear if this, OP.

Take the time to go and heal. Have the MD degree means nothing if it breaks you.

As a teaching moment to the rest of you, this is why I say med school is a furnace, and people with mental health issues need to have their issues under 100% control.
I have to agree with this. I have to say I did not realize how important mental health is. If you just want to pass medical school, it is pretty easy in my opinion. But most medical students want to be the best of their ability and give it their all and that's extremely challenging without good mental health.

Med school is stressful for all but the elite students. Your LOA is spot on, indicating you have the required insight to be successful. You just haven't found the right recipe yet to heal. Keep working on your issues. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, you definitely made the right decision.

Focus on yourself and your wellbeing for now. Honestly, I wouldn't stress too much about rejoining the next year's class if you have the option to take more than 1 year off. Consider taking a LOA + a research year, perhaps? I just think that rushing back will make the process of getting better more stressful and difficult. I guess I'm just thinking out loud, but my general sentiment is: take the time you need, if possible.

Best of luck and I hope things get better for you.

Reactions: 1 users
You did the right thing. Good grades are not worth your mental health getting worse.

Use the LOA to maybe destress along with getting on the right meds and do some research if you can.

Reactions: 1 users