Loan always enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JRod17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I will begin dental school this summer and will also be getting married in October. I'm looking at the financial situation for me and my future wife once we are married. She has a job opportunity that she really would like to take, but it's monetary compensation is lower than desired. Is the loan amount awarded typically enough for a married couple to live off of during dental school (living frugally of course)?

Obviously it is not ideal to use the full amount of loan taken out, but I am attending a cheap in state public school, so it won't be detrimental. I am just slightly worried we can't afford to live off of the loan and her small salary. I want her to take the job because I want her to be happy. At the same time, I know we need to do what is financially responsible.

Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

One of the schools I interviewed at mentioned that if there was a specific situation needing more $ than the amount allowed by the school, you could talk to the financial aid people and they could bump up that number. The situation they mentioned was very similar to yours, having to support housing of a family/spouse in addition to yourself. Also, if you are living in a 1 bedroom you shouldn't have a problem making this work, as many students pay 1BR rent even without a spouse

Call the school's financial adviser, and they will tell you how much they will give out for cost of living. It can range anywhere from 20k (small town) to 35k (nyc). It will be enough if you live frugally.