Loan Consolidation Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LatinGuitarrist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question guys. I have a year left in undergrad and already have some loans. Can I consolidate my current loans ( 1 from X place, 1 from Y place) into one loan while still in undergrad or do I have to wait until i graduate? I want to make X and Y loans into just Z loan...If this is possible, can you guys recommend of a company that you know its good or have used? I want to start paying after graduation..

Sincerely,

Ed

Members don't see this ad.

The rules on consolidation have changed. You can no longer consolidate while in school. I consolidated with nelnet. They offer rate reduction for auto debit payments, and a choice between a rate reduction or a principal reduction after a certain number of consecutive on time payments. Lots of other lenders have these incentives as well. Check with your surrent lender for more specific info.

There is a great FAQ about this here.

The loophole for consolidating in school was closed as of 7/1/06 as well as you can no longer consolidate with a spouse.

There are many different companies that you can consolidate with. Each has their own benefits and I suggest you look at all of them. The ones I have used have been Direct Loans, Sallie Mae, and Nelnet in various stages of my educational career.

Here is a list of the top 50 lenders of educational loans.

Here is a list of consolidation discounts that will be helpful to you ... I would double check with the companies websites. You would have to figure out the financial analysis of which would work for you the best

Don't forget to ask the lender you are considering ... "how many of your borrowers are actually receive the repayment incentive?"

Considering how much these incentives can save you - it is important to understand the likelihood you will receive it. The numbers are shocking - mostly because the restrictions to receive them are hard to come by.