Loan forgiveness for podiatrist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

how much indebt will you be after finishing Pod school (include undergrad)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SO, I want to know the deal with loan forgiveness and podiatrist is there such thing as loan forgiveness if you work for a certain amount of time with a non-profit? I came across this thread and I want to know the details of this Loan forgiveness (PSLF) for podiatry? it is also discussed here Public service loan forgiveness

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Currently these opportunities are extremely limited. Off the top of my head, navy HSC gives partial loan relief. There's a few others here and there I've read about, but they are extremely limited.

However, APMA is currently waiting on the VA bill sitting in the senate. If it passes, we will be defined as *podiatric* physicians to the powers at be.
Recognized as physicians, it opens up opportunities to the health service corps and native american res., etc. All of these are the sort of programs you've heard of and probably desire- do your 5 years with them and they eat most of your loans.

Others have mentioned- it may not be all it is chalked up to be. You may end up being better off securing a well paying position out of residency, and paying off your loans yourself. It's all circumstantial and dependent on the individual, but it is not as much as a 'no-brainer' as it appears on the surface.

Reactions: 2 users
Idk why the Ortho bros are so against pod becoming physicians. They take all the same classes with the exception of embryology. Plus, a third of Pod classes are with DO students anyway.

Meanwhile, doctors are losing the battle btw midlevel providers and primary care. It won't be long till NPs start sniffing around the Ortho realm. Then those Ortho foot and ankle guys will wish they would have been nicer to pods.

Orthopaedic Surgeons Clarify Differences Between Themselves and Podiatrists

AAOS October Update

For example, as representatives of the American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society (AOFAS) and AAOS, we (the authors) were successful in changing legislation that would have labeled all podiatrists at the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) as "physicians." It also would have raised salaries for podiatrists to make them equal to medical doctors (MD) and doctors of osteopathy (DO) as well as allow them unrestricted access to clinical leadership positions.

Due to our direct intervention, the result was legislation that reinforced the necessity of clinical leadership belonging to MDs and DOs as well as the "physician" title.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know and if I am correct, VA Bill no longer has "physician" definition. I thought it was amended before going to Senate So, it will only be raising salaries at VA to attract more qualified podiatrists.

"This amendment allows for salary increases for podiatrists but clarifies that podiatrists are not eligible for peer-review or clinical supervisory roles over MDs or DOs. Furthermore, it retains the official "podiatrist" designation, referring to them as podiatric surgeons, not physicians"

The major beef was that they didn't want to us to enter competition pool for Administrative positions within the VA. As I understand it, that's the only restriction we will have- all of the other opportunities I mentioned should still be made available. The name change was explained to me back in July by APMA, and at the time that was the only restriction on this compromise. Not sure if that has changed since then.

NP's are definitely on the rise. In my little town's Mayo Clinic (MN), there are two NP's, 1 MD and 1 DO.
I have shadowed DO there and when NP stopped by several times to chat, I have asked family DO about their right and scope of practice. I thought that maybe NP's have to get approvals for diagnosis or for prescriptions from MD/DO. DO said that NP's have exactly same rights and privileges as DO/MD in primary care. He commented, though, that it took him 7-8 years and NP's only 3 years after bachelor's.

In my hometown in Missouri, main community clinic has 8 NP's compared to 2-3 DO's and NP's do the same thing as family DO's.

MD/DO world has nothing against NP's even though they have no formal medical education and residency completed. Is that because nursing world is so huge, while Pod world is so small?
The NP fad will go down. They have opened the flood gates to a lot of unqualified applicants by their whole "accelerated online DNP" degrees that are basically nursing theory classes. Once the field is saturated with a lot of people who lack any RN experience (which is what originally set NPs apart) the whole profession will become clouded and weighted down as those type of Nps start practicing. Just a prediction

Reactions: 4 users
Idk why the Ortho bros are so against pod becoming physicians. They take all the same classes with the exception of embryology. Plus, a third of Pod classes are with DO students anyway.

Meanwhile, doctors are losing the battle btw midlevel providers and primary care. It won't be long till NPs start sniffing around the Ortho realm. Then those Ortho foot and ankle guys will wish they would have been nicer to pods.
At AZpod, we have every class besides our podiatry class with the D.O. including embryology. The only classes we don't have that they have are psychology and OMM.

Reactions: 1 user
They take all the same classes with the exception of embryology.
I wish we didn't have to take embryology.

But...it's kinda on boards, so we do all take it.

Enviado desde mi Pixel mediante Tapatalk