Loan forgiveness for state job

Started by apple83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

apple83

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got offered by my state univ clinical position. I am wondering if I can apply for loan forgiveness option (paying 120 months and remainder forgiven) by working this state position.

Is there any site that I can find out my workplace is eligible for loan forgiveness program or not?
 
Loan forgiveness generally only applies to "underserved" areas, I'm guessing its pretty unlikely that your state university is serving an underserved area or population. I can't imagine any state universities would qualify for loan forgiveness, but I'm not an expert on this.
 
Public Service Loan Forgiveness -- Google it. Yes, state universities are public entities and full time employment with IBR eligibility will qualify you for loan forgiveness.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can google the paperwork that you fill out for public loan service forgiveness. It gives you a check list to run through for your place of employment, so it should at least give you an idea of whether or not you would be eligible.
 
In the past month or so they might have added a cap to the loan amount forgiven. I'm not sure but you may want to look into it just to make sure.