Loan interest/Repaying while in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theT333

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to see for those who have used grad PLUS loans, or any other loans for that matter, what approximately is the interest rate? How much a week did that end up being? And has anyone planned to pay off the interest while in school? Is that realistic/sustainable? I plan to work to help afford rent in addition to (potentially) paying the interest off as I go to avoid it snow balling at the end.

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I wanted to see for those who have used grad PLUS loans, or any other loans for that matter, what approximately is the interest rate? How much a week did that end up being? And has anyone planned to pay off the interest while in school? Is that realistic/sustainable? I plan to work to help afford rent in addition to (potentially) paying the interest off as I go to avoid it snow balling at the end.

Thanks guys.
Interest rate for me was in 7-8%. I had classmates who were working while being at school and paying off the interest. I chose not to do that since it would be too much work for me. I paid off Grad PLus loan in less than 2 years after graduation (used it to cover the rest of tuition only).

Interest rate for me was in 7-8%. I had classmates who were working while being at school and paying off the interest. I chose not to do that since it would be too much work for me. I paid off Grad PLus loan in less than 2 years after graduation (used it to cover the rest of tuition only).
Can you explain the interest rate, was that 7-8% of the specific loan you took out for the semester or for the year? And is that 7-8% every month?
Week? Thank you very much for the info!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you explain the interest rate, was that 7-8% of the specific loan you took out for the semester or for the year? And is that 7-8% every month?
Week? Thank you very much for the info!
You apply for a student loan once a year. You (your school really) receives the loan prior to each semester. 7-8% interest starts to accumulate after you receive each loan.
Let's say you have 3 semesters in 2021 starting Jan, June, Sept:
-You get loan #1 in Jan and your interest starts to accumulate; it will continue to accumulate until you pay it off completely.
-You get loan #2 in June and your interest starts to accumulate; it will continue to accumulate until you pay it off completely.
-You get loan #3 in Sept and your interest starts to accumulate; it will continue to accumulate until you pay it off completely.
The same process will continue for 2022 and 2023 until you graduate.

7-8% is annual interest, but it accumulates. Google loan interest accumulation to understand better how it works.

To oversimplify:
If you borrow $100 at 10% annual, you will owe $110 (extra $10 = 10% of $100) in 1 year.
In 2 years, you will owe $121 (= $110 from year 1 + 10% from $110 for year 2).
In 3 years, you will owe $132.1 ( = $121 from year 2 + 10% from $121 for year 3).
etc.

When you are applying for your student loan, there is usually an automatic calculator that provides you with the specific numbers that will show how much you will owe in 1,5,10, etc years.

Awesome, thank you very much for clarifying in depth like that.