Loan Options For P1 Pharmacy Student

Started by ayenx2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ayenx2

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

I have just received my financial aid package from Rutgers yesterday. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans they offered are far below the tuition bill, so I am looking at possible options to pay for the education. I am an Out-Of-State P1 transfer student into Rutgers's pharmacy program.

I have considered the Direct PLUS Loan for Grad/Professional Degree Students, but the lady at the financial aid office told me that I couldn't apply for it because I am still considered an undergraduate student (even though I graduated with a Bachelors degree this summer). I really don't want to get the Parent PLUS loan, because I have no idea how my dad will be able to pay back the loan since we are a low income family. I am looking at private loans right now, but I am kind of hesitant because I heard that should be the last resort.

Since I will be spending four years at NJ, I was considering moving into an off-campus house near News Brunswick just so I can be considered NJ resident for my 2nd to 4th year tuition. I had planned to dorm, but that wouldn't make me a resident. However, I am under 24, so it seems like it would be hard to declare myself a NJ resident while my parents are NY residents. What are some possible ways to solve this? 🙁

How do you guys pay for your tuition? I am sure there are many of you out there that are just like me. 🙁

Thank you for your help in advance! I really appreciate it!
 
Hi everyone,

I have just received my financial aid package from Rutgers yesterday. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans they offered are far below the tuition bill, so I am looking at possible options to pay for the education. I am an Out-Of-State P1 transfer student into Rutgers's pharmacy program.

I have considered the Direct PLUS Loan for Grad/Professional Degree Students, but the lady at the financial aid office told me that I couldn't apply for it because I am still considered an undergraduate student (even though I graduated with a Bachelors degree this summer). I really don't want to get the Parent PLUS loan, because I have no idea how my dad will be able to pay back the loan since we are a low income family. I am looking at private loans right now, but I am kind of hesitant because I heard that should be the last resort.

Since I will be spending four years at NJ, I was considering moving into an off-campus house near News Brunswick just so I can be considered NJ resident for my 2nd to 4th year tuition. I had planned to dorm, but that wouldn't make me a resident. However, I am under 24, so it seems like it would be hard to declare myself a NJ resident while my parents are NY residents. What are some possible ways to solve this? 🙁

How do you guys pay for your tuition? I am sure there are many of you out there that are just like me. 🙁

Thank you for your help in advance! I really appreciate it!



I am in the same boat as you except I can't apply for a parent plus loan because I am classified as an independent student. Even if I could apply for one, my parents are low income as well. I have just been applying for scholarships in hopes of getting some. Have you tried searching them on fastweb.com? Also some independent pharmacies offer loans to students in exchange for employment. That might be my option if I don't get any scholarships.
 
Hi everyone,

I have just received my financial aid package from Rutgers yesterday. The subsidized and unsubsidized loans they offered are far below the tuition bill, so I am looking at possible options to pay for the education. I am an Out-Of-State P1 transfer student into Rutgers's pharmacy program.

I have considered the Direct PLUS Loan for Grad/Professional Degree Students, but the lady at the financial aid office told me that I couldn't apply for it because I am still considered an undergraduate student (even though I graduated with a Bachelors degree this summer). I really don't want to get the Parent PLUS loan, because I have no idea how my dad will be able to pay back the loan since we are a low income family. I am looking at private loans right now, but I am kind of hesitant because I heard that should be the last resort.

Since I will be spending four years at NJ, I was considering moving into an off-campus house near News Brunswick just so I can be considered NJ resident for my 2nd to 4th year tuition. I had planned to dorm, but that wouldn't make me a resident. However, I am under 24, so it seems like it would be hard to declare myself a NJ resident while my parents are NY residents. What are some possible ways to solve this? 🙁

How do you guys pay for your tuition? I am sure there are many of you out there that are just like me. 🙁

Thank you for your help in advance! I really appreciate it!



I am in the same boat as you except I can't apply for a parent plus loan because I am classified as an independent student. Even if I could apply for one, my parents are low income as well. I have just been applying for scholarships in hopes of getting some. Have you tried searching them on fastweb.com? Also some independent pharmacies offer loans to students in exchange for employment. That might be my option if I don't get any scholarships. Another option is also the Health Professions Loan, check to see if your school participates and find out their requirements. Pharmacy is an eligible major. At my school I don't meet the requirement because I am an independent student, which is totally unfair. All student's regardless of classification should be eligible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am in the same boat as you except I can't apply for a parent plus loan because I am classified as an independent student. Even if I could apply for one, my parents are low income as well. I have just been applying for scholarships in hopes of getting some. Have you tried searching them on fastweb.com? Also some independent pharmacies offer loans to students in exchange for employment. That might be my option if I don't get any scholarships. Another option is also the Health Professions Loan, check to see if your school participates and find out their requirements. Pharmacy is an eligible major. At my school I don't meet the requirement because I am an independent student, which is totally unfair. All student's regardless of classification should be eligible.

In the context of pharmacy schools, what does "P1" mean? 😕