Loan Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone with a family and and other expenses (such as morgage, utilities, etc...) that have applied for med. school loans give me some insight into them. Currently, I am trying to figure out the financial aspects of going back to med. school. I am looking to apply in a cpl. of yrs after my current student loans are paid back. Would I be able to get enough to cover my expenses? Or would I have to consider selling our home? I am a pharmacist, so I may be able to work here and there to bring in some extra money, but prob. not enough to cover everything. Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if anyone with a family and and other expenses (such as morgage, utilities, etc...) that have applied for med. school loans give me some insight into them. Currently, I am trying to figure out the financial aspects of going back to med. school. I am looking to apply in a cpl. of yrs after my current student loans are paid back. Would I be able to get enough to cover my expenses? Or would I have to consider selling our home? I am a pharmacist, so I may be able to work here and there to bring in some extra money, but prob. not enough to cover everything. Any help would be appreciated.

It all depends on the school. your could get sub. stafford loans for $8500 at 6.8% plus unsub stafford loans up to 35,000 at 6.8% if you need more you can get a grad plus loan at 8.50%. Per year..... This is for a private school. each school has their cost plus the living expense.. (los angles is more expensive than NC). from what I have seen you will get stafford loans both sub and unsub to cover most to all of your school cost but will have to take out grad plus for living expenses. I received the fin aid from 4 schools( all private) and they all expected the families to come up with about $20,000 per year. With the rates so high you could put a second on your house cheaper. I hope this helps