Loan Repayment Program - Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbucky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there -- not sure if this is in the right place -- but during M2 I applied and received an offer for a primary care loan repayment program. The deal was that I agreed to work in a rural area for a private hospital for 5 years as a primary care physician after residency.

Fast forward 2 years and a great deal has changed in my life (husband that passed away, family that's moved) etc. I am still interested in practicing in a rural area in this state but am more interested in Endocrinology. Just wanted to get people's opinions on whether:
a) likelihood of this program allowing me to do an Endocrine fellowship post-IM residency (yes I read the contract I signed & didn't see any official stipulations of this)
b) is it practical to work part-time as a primary care physician and pay the loan off over 10 years and part-time as an Endocrinologist for this hospital system?

Endocrinology & primary care go hand-in-hand so often (hello diabetes) that it doesn't seem too far fetched to me to combine the two into one practice. Would love anyone else's thoughts though. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.