loan repayment

Started by cali23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cali23

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If one takes a leave of absence for medical school, how does this affect loan repayment?

Does anyone have experience in this area?

I would appreciate any advise.

Thanks.
 
I think if you stop going to school full-time, then you have a 6 month grace period. Once this grace period expires, then you must make loan payments or apply for forbearance based on economic hardship. When you restart school, you'll re-enter deferment.
 
Yup. Just be aware that you only get one 6 month deferrment. You should also look into research or teaching fellowships that allow you to defer without penalty as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the advise. Does anyone know of any such fellowships? I will definitely ask around.