Loan Repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunkisses00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long does it take to repay a medical school loan according to specialty or salary after medical school? I have been able to find statistics on average loan repayment for all doctors as a whole, but have not found anything specific to certain specialties.
Whenever the topic of loan repayment has been brought up in front of other doctors, I have often heard the comment - Don't go into internal medicine and you'll be fine.
Are there any doctors who can tell me how long it took, or is taking, them to pay back their loan and what their background is (specialty, loan total, monthly payments, support from others/family/spouse/organizations, etc...).
Or are there any websites that address loan repayment for medical school loans of a couple hundred thousand dollars?

Members don't see this ad.

There are so many variables. You can attend some schools for $5,000 per year and others charge $50,000 per year. So you may graduate with only $20,000 in debt or it could be $200,000 in debt (or worse if you financed college too).

Generally you can repay over a 15-30 year period.

I estimated my loan repayment based on my total loan amount and interest rates using a mortgage amortization calculator I found on the internet. You also find data on average salaries of your specialty on the internet. Of course, it really just depends on the lifestyle you expect when you are done with training and how much of your estimated salary you are willing to pay towards loans per month. I know people who have paid it off in 5 years (of course, that was 10 years ago, and he probably did not have the amount of debt that today's students do). I also know people who are in the same specialty but are still paying.