Loan Repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purduephigam

SuPurdueper Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm attempting to think about planning for me (and my fiancee's) financial future and am wondering the best way to go about re-paying loans. I am assuming when all is said and done next year we'll be about $250k in the red. After consolidation (not sure what type of interest rate that will be), do we really want to try and get it done in 10, or stretch it for 20-30? I hate the idea of paying 1-200k in interest alone, but I am strongly considering buying out a practice after graduation, which will up my payments to approx 5-6k each month.

Any thoughts on the loan repayment side of things?

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to buy a practice right after school, then you want to keep your loan repayments as low as possible while you get on your feet (especially if you are building a practice from scratch)

When the dust settles and you are making some money, you can just pay more each month towards your loans or switch the payment schedule to the 10 year or whatever.

There is no point in killing yourself with high loan repayments until you have your income situation figured out.