Loans after BS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marqoo10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So.. quick question.

I am a Junior in college currently going abroad Fall 2016-Spring 2017 (a whole academic year). Being abroad it will be simply hard to apply to dental school that June 2017. Therefore, I plan on applying June 2018 (Once I graduate college).

My questions is..

Since, I am currently on loans. My loans require to start paying them after 6 months of no schooling. How would I approach payments if I don't get notice of acceptance until December 2018? Is there a way to skip loan repayment until I receive notice of dental schools? I am screwed and will start paying them right after graduation?

OR

Do I just risk it an apply while being abroad?

Members don't see this ad.

~

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I believe after your 6 month grace period is over, you will have to start making payments. If you are using only federal loans they are very generous with the repayment options, so I would no worry too much. Once you matriculate into dental school I believe the loans will go back into remission and you will not be required to make payments until after you graduate.

You can find more information in this short article:

http://www.adea.org/GoDental/Dental_Blogs/Financial_Aid_Advice/Student_Loans_and_Gap_Years__The_Importance_of_“Good_Standing”.aspx

Thanks for the help! Will contact my advisor asap!! :bow:

Members don't see this ad :)
They kick in 6 months after graduation. Get yourself a decent job during your gap year and you'll be just fine.

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile

So.. quick question.

I am a Junior in college currently going abroad Fall 2016-Spring 2017 (a whole academic year). Being abroad it will be simply hard to apply to dental school that June 2017. Therefore, I plan on applying June 2018 (Once I graduate college).

My questions is..

Since, I am currently on loans. My loans require to start paying them after 6 months of no schooling. How would I approach payments if I don't get notice of acceptance until December 2018? Is there a way to skip loan repayment until I receive notice of dental schools? I am screwed and will start paying them right after graduation?

OR

Do I just risk it an apply while being abroad?

You can apply to defer loan payments based on financial struggle. I believe the it's a 6 month relief in top of the original 6 months.