Loans/financial advice for AUA Medical

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashlovejp23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take out a loan for medical school and know that AUA only has private loans that cover tuition, fees, some room and board. Does anyone know how much room and board is covered and any methods of obtaining more loans? Should I look into additional private loans on my own?

I was told to look into the MBA program that offers additional assistance, but I don't think I want to do that. Does anyone have any input on this program?

Does anyone have any additional advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ashlove.... I am in the same boat as you. I spoke to financial services today and the loan AUA gives us requires interest only payments while in school. The person I was talking to said that the interest can be paid from the refund we get.

Sooo, if my math is correct, after tuition, school fees and the interest payment, after housing at 1400 or 1800 for double occupancy, health if you do not have your own, transportation, and books at 700$/sem I am looking at either 518$ or 118$ (again depends on the housing you choose) left over for food and other personal stuff. Keep in mind utilities, cable and internet are not figured in. It looks like I will either need to ask family to help out or I do not go to AUA. As for other loans.... there are non available. Thank the economy and the banking crisis for that. If I am wrong...and this is the one time I hope I am!! Please someone correct me and my figures. I have heard that the other 3 schools (SGU, SMU and Ross) all have loans in place that cover everything, however, they have been around longer than AUA. Something to think about.

After rereading your post I just saw you are medical and not Veterinary..... Sorry. my figures above are for the Vet shool but I am sure the Med school is similar.