Loans for Canadian/International Students

Started by coramDeo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coramDeo

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I'm a Canadian student who'll be matriculating this fall. I've been searching for loan options in the U.S. for Canadian students, but I couldn't really get a clear idea of which would be the best foot forward.

Could any current/former international/Canadian students share their experiences? Thank you so much!
 
Are you referring to studying medicine in US as a Canadian student? If that's the case, look into professional student line of credit through Canadian banks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you referring to studying medicine in US as a Canadian student? If that's the case, look into professional student line of credit through Canadian banks.
Yes, I will be matriculating at an American MD school this fall. With the currency rate, I was wondering if it'd be better to find a loan down south... Would you say the best foot forward is just to get a loan through a Canadian bank?
 
Yes, I will be matriculating at an American MD school this fall. With the currency rate, I was wondering if it'd be better to find a loan down south... Would you say the best foot forward is just to get a loan through a Canadian bank?
I don't know if it's possible to secure American loan as a Canadian without someone with American credit history to serve as a co-signer.
 
I have a credit history in the U.S., as I've been working here for a while. Would I still be ineligible for bank loans?
 
I have a credit history in the U.S., as I've been working here for a while. Would I still be ineligible for bank loans?
You generally need to be a permanent resident or US citizen to get loans down in the US unless you have a co-signer. Even still, the interest rates are more favorable in Canada. Also note - it may be challenging to get Canadian loans if you are not currently living in Canada, but not impossible.
 
Hello,

I'm a Canadian student who'll be matriculating this fall. I've been searching for loan options in the U.S. for Canadian students, but I couldn't really get a clear idea of which would be the best foot forward.

Could any current/former international/Canadian students share their experiences? Thank you so much!
For Canadian banks, we did discussed on premed101 what Canadian banks will give to international medical students. I will quote what was said about the big 5 Canadian banks (in CAD):

"RBC: $150K max | prime + 1.75% | w/ cosigner
TD: $325 max | prime - 0.25% | w/ cosigner that has a "significant relationship" with TD already
Scotia: $350 max | prime - 0.25% | w/ cosigner that has "significant relationship" with Scotiabank already
BMO: $325 max | prime - 0.25% | w/ cosigner
CIBC: $300 max | prime - 0.25% (I think not confirmed) | w/ cosigner"

I am not sure about the American banks though.
 
Last edited: