Loans for moving/relocation costs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RphCat

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on options to fund a move out of state for pharmacy school? From what I have gathered, I shouldn't expect to see any fiancial aid/loans until after the program starts.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Correct--you don't get any of money from your student loans until usually sometime in the first 1-4 weeks of starting school, similar to undergrad or graduate school.

Savings, parents, private personal loans, and credit cards are generally your only options. There are "residency and relocation loans" that graduating medical students can get (and I believe pharmacy students may be eligible as well), but as far as I know, those are only for when you're in your last year of medical school, and meant to help fund the move to residency. I don't think pre-meds/pre-pharm students are eligible because it's still not guaranteed you're going to actually go to medical/pharmacy school or graduate, whereas a 4th year medical student is almost certain to graduate and is a pretty safe bet for loan companies.

If you can't borrow from your parents, get a 0% APR credit card and use that, pay it off completely when you get your student aid a month or two later.

I knew about 6 months ahead of time I was going to be moving for medical school so I saved up an extra $3k or whatever for moving halfway across the country, 1st month's rent, deposit, etc. If you have that much leeway as well, try to cut your costs the next few months to save up. Sell furniture and belongings (helps keep the costs of moving down too--but don't sell things you're just going to buy back!), do some of the "etc." jobs offered on craigslist (I did a couple focus group surveys--made $500, worked as a janitor a few nights, etc etc. Obviously don't do anything sketchy.)

Anyone have any info on options to fund a move out of state for pharmacy school? From what I have gathered, I shouldn't expect to see any fiancial aid/loans until after the program starts.

Thanks!

Were you able to figure out a good way to fund the move? All the options I've looked at so far make me wanna cringe...

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you able to figure out a good way to fund the move? All the options I've looked at so far make me wanna cringe...
I am also interested in this topic

I took on a second job and started selling all my stuff in hopes that I can just fit what we need in our two vehicles It will be tight but I think the only other option is taking out a personal loan. Check out Avant if you are considering that option.

Moving is really expensive and unfortunately most of the time you have to "have" the money on your own! Ask friends and family to help you moving with private cars etc. don't bring too much!
Where are you moving to? is it far away?