Loans for study abroad/critical languages?

Started by Pose
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Pose

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello ladies and gents,

I have been applying to intensive Summer Arabic programs in the Middle East. I'm currently counting on acceptances to either or both the American University in Cairo (Egypt) and the American University in Beirut (Lebanon). Both, for the 7 weeks + housing, will run about $5,000. I will transfer back about 9cr hours. Not a bad deal, considering they're both reasonably intensive.

But...uh...I can't pay in cash, and they don't really have many financial aid programs open for me. Likewise, I have virtually no credit. I have my current student loans ($4,000ish in Stafford?), and one medical bill that, was incorrectly so, sent to a collections agency. I'm a sophomore undergraduate.

I'm sure that I'll find something -- even if it comes to begging family members to co-sign a private loan, eh? But does anyone have any experience or tips for funding something like this?

--PoseyWoseyWoe