Loans for US students abroad ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marsupilami

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am studying medicine abroad ( Germany ) and am about to run out of money ... now my question is: are there any American students out there who attend a medical school abroad and who receive loans from home ? I have searched the web for loans but couldn't find anything suitable.

I would be interested to hear from you

:)

Chris

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Chris,
I do not have any suggestions respecting loans, but if you are interested in grants for international students in Germany, have a look at the following website: http://www.daad.de/deutschland/de/2.4.2.html
You can also contact the Stipendienstelle of your university and ask about possible grants. :)

I have the same question i am not in Germany but far east, i have had no luck finding anything for people like us, i have treid everything ;( if you do findout anything pls don't forget about me i am in the same boat :( only thing you can get is credit cards and that is about it. I had to pay for my medschool all on my own now totally broke. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if this helps but I did my MBA in Italy (I'm American) and I got a stafford loan. You need to contact a lender to find out if your school has a Title IV code. This means that they are approved by the US govt as an accredited learning institution. If it is (and my guess is that it is if you are also qualified to take USMLE certification), you just need to go through the loan application process for international students. It's very similar to the process for students studying in the US only your check gets sent to you and not your school.

I think we are not elgible cause, the med school has to be in the united states. There is a huge list for the IMG (ECFMG list which is basically all those institutions who are "W.H.O" certified are eligible to take USMLE.)
thanks anyway :thumbup:

I'm not in med school, but I am a US grad student in Germany at the Charite, Berlin. You can take out private grad loans from Key Bank for many German Unis not eligible for fed loans. I don't know about med loans, but if you only need living money, I get 11k year.

Hello,

thanks for your reply. Did you apply for the private grad loan while you were still in the US or from Germany ? I wonder wether they give money to people living abroad, i.e. whom they don't know. I have been living in Germany for over 20 years and my family lives here as well, so I don't have an American credit history or sth. comparable...

Looking forward to your reply

Marsupilami ;)