Loans or County?

Started by mysterl33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mysterl33

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I finished my first year of college with a not so great GPA..below 2.0 :bang:

I just found out that my college tuition is way beyond what I can afford and if I took out loans, I would probably end up max-ing out the loans too. So now I am stuck with a choice to make.

1. Take out loans and continue attending my college and graduate with a b.s. in chem then apply to pharmacy school

2. Go to County College and get all the pre-reqs for pharmacy school and apply to pharmacy school

Does pharmacy schools care where you did your pre-reqs? Does it give you more leverage when you've done the pre-reqs at a institution rather than a county college?


I really don't know what to do right now.. Financially and GPA wise, I think it'd be best for me to go to county but I'm worried that I would not be able to get into Pharmacy school because I went to a county instead of a college with a name..

any thoughts/suggestions/help is appreciated. thanks.
 
When you say county do you mean a community college?? Most pharmacy schools don't care where you take your pre-requisites as long as it is an accredited school. On the other hand, they are a few who prefer you take your courses at a four year college
 
So I finished my first year of college with a not so great GPA..below 2.0 :bang:

I just found out that my college tuition is way beyond what I can afford and if I took out loans, I would probably end up max-ing out the loans too. So now I am stuck with a choice to make.

1. Take out loans and continue attending my college and graduate with a b.s. in chem then apply to pharmacy school

2. Go to County College and get all the pre-reqs for pharmacy school and apply to pharmacy school

Does pharmacy schools care where you did your pre-reqs? Does it give you more leverage when you've done the pre-reqs at a institution rather than a county college?


I really don't know what to do right now.. Financially and GPA wise, I think it'd be best for me to go to county but I'm worried that I would not be able to get into Pharmacy school because I went to a county instead of a college with a name..

any thoughts/suggestions/help is appreciated. thanks.

Changing schools will not change your study habits. Grades are NOT indicative of where you go to school (although many will argue that). Grades are indicative of motivation and effort.

Do not settle for the easy way out - the path of least resistance. I would assess yourself - find where you fell short - and address those problems.

When you finally obtain your goal - you will be happy that you chose to stick it out rather than cash in...

To address your other question - you must speak with the specific schools you are interested in applying to - and ask them whether or not they care if you attend a 4 yr university rather than a community college. While many people on this board are well informed, you should seek this information directly from its source.

Good luck, with whatever path you choose.

~above~
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for clarification, in New Jersey, "county" colleges are the same as community or junior colleges elsewhere.

For example, Union County College, Camden County College, etc.
 
It's ok if you had a bad first year/semester. Study, talk to advisers, get on the ball, and bust your butt. This will give you something to talk about in interviews later. Everyone parties their first year of college so don't worry....yet.