Loans without cosigner for DO or MD school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

europ321123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am a LPR, but I have never lived in the USA and do not have anyone in the USA. Now I am transferring from a European university to biology to an American college. Because of my grades, I am given a presidential scholarship and the balance is covered by a $ 5,000 federal loan. However, I found out that the FAFSA said that a co-signer is not needed for these loans and I had a sharp question. Maybe there is no point in studying to be a biologist at all and I need to forget about the career of a doctor? The fact is that my family will not be able to pay for medical school for sure. Are there any chances to get a loan for a medical school without a co-signer and where do people find them at all? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You can get federal school loans through fafsa and studentloans.gov without a co-signer, but they will only give loans to U.S. citizens and green card holders.

It's my understanding that generally international students need private loans, which usually requires a co-signer. I think there may be some private lenders that don't require cosigners for med student loans, so I would try to look into that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can get federal school loans through fafsa and studentloans.gov without a co-signer, but they will only give loans to U.S. citizens and green card holders.
I'm LPR(green-card holder), but is it possible to get federal loans which covered cost of tuition?

It's my understanding that generally international students need private loans, which usually requires a co-signer. I think there may be some private lenders that don't require cosigners for med student loans, so I would try to look into that.
I'm LPR(green-card)

I'm LPR(green-card holder), but is it possible to get federal loans which covered cost of tuition?
Oh ok, I didn't immediately catch that LRP meant Lawful Permanent Resident. If you have a green card, then you can sign up for loans without a cosigner without a problem. The only time you would need a cosigner is for Grad plus loans for which they check your credit, and if you have any delinquency then they won't approve you without a cosigner, but as long your you have no delinquency on your credit you're fine. Fafsa's direct unsubsidized loan don't require a credit check therefore you don't ever need a cosigner for that. For medical school you often need both Direct unsubsidized loans and grad plus loans to cover for school + Cost of Living unless you plan to pay some expenses out of pocket.

Reactions: 1 user