• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Loans

CruiseLover

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2005
  1. Pre-Medical
    I really don't think I need all the loans that I'm offered for school. I found a place to live with 2 roommates so my living budget is much cheaper. Do I accept loans and then have the ability to "turn down the money." I don't want to refuse it now and then turn out I need it for the spring. I have not had to take out loans in undergrad so I need the help.

hunter1077

10+ Year Member
    5+ Year Member
    Oct 26, 2005
    Jackson, MS
    1. Non-Student
      CruiseLover said:
      I really don't think I need all the loans that I'm offered for school. I found a place to live with 2 roommates so my living budget is much cheaper. Do I accept loans and then have the ability to "turn down the money." I don't want to refuse it now and then turn out I need it for the spring. I have not had to take out loans in undergrad so I need the help.

Same boat here...I think I am going to put my extra in a savings account until I get finished and then pay back all at once. At least I wont have to worry about while I am in school.

angel80

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 27, 2006
        In my school, we were allowed to take out less than the amount offerred, and then later on, if we needed more money, we could take out more. It's a little bit more of a hassle to go through things twice, but at least that way you are not being charged interest from the beginning of the year on the second chunk of money.

About the Ads

UserNameNeeded

SOS
        10+ Year Member
        7+ Year Member
        Dec 29, 2004
        TX
          angel80 said:
          In my school, we were allowed to take out less than the amount offerred, and then later on, if we needed more money, we could take out more. It's a little bit more of a hassle to go through things twice, but at least that way you are not being charged interest from the beginning of the year on the second chunk of money.

That's very, very smart. I really would like my unsubsidized loan disbursements to happen at the beginning of the semester and the middle of the semester so I can avoid some of the interest from accruing. I wonder if I can even do it monthly? That'd be even better. Taking small amounts at a time...

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          15+ Year Member
          Sep 30, 2003
          1. Medical Student
            UserNameNeeded said:
            That's very, very smart. I really would like my unsubsidized loan disbursements to happen at the beginning of the semester and the middle of the semester so I can avoid some of the interest from accruing. I wonder if I can even do it monthly? That'd be even better. Taking small amounts at a time...

Nope. You get it at the beginning of each semester. It's non-negotiable.

Learn to manage your own money. Don't make the financial aid office do it for you.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
            Removed
            15+ Year Member
            Sep 30, 2003
            1. Medical Student
              UserNameNeeded said:
              My undergraduate institution let me take out my loan amounts whenever I wanted.

What are you talking about? :sleep:

That may be true after school has begun, but you cannot take the loans out until the initial disbursment, and then request more later (if you have not maxed out.)

About the Ads
              This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
              2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
              5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
              6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
              7. This thread is locked.