Loans???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbam44

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just accepted in Med School a few weeks ago and have filled out the FAFSA and my schools FIN AID forms. I hear that the interest rates will be 6.8% starting JULY. How does this affect me, and will I still be able to get rates that are low even though I might be a little late into this whole process? Help?

Members don't see this ad.

bbam44 said:
I was just accepted in Med School a few weeks ago and have filled out the FAFSA and my schools FIN AID forms. I hear that the interest rates will be 6.8% starting JULY. How does this affect me, and will I still be able to get rates that are low even though I might be a little late into this whole process? Help?

Stafford unsubsidized and subsidized loans will be at 6.8% for you and everyone else no matter what from now on. Of course, depending on what lender you go through, you can get various incentives which ultimately decrease that percentage at repayment by a marginal amount.

Hopefully that answers your question. Student loan interest rates will be fixed at 6.8% from here on out. Thus, they won't be any lower or higher than 6.8%.