loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nkdental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,
i have a question about dental school loans:
is it true that everyone can take out loans?
my problem is that i would not be able to pay for my school tuition without loans and i am worried that i would enroll in a school and not be able to take out loans!( i am willing to take high interest rate loans as well)...
also does any one know if your financial aid statues affects the amount of loan you can get?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a U.S. citizen? If so, you'll be eligible to receive federal student aid to cover your tuition and cost of living. If you're not, I think you have to get private loans and have a cosigner that is a citizen or green-card holder.

The interest rate is 6.8% for US Citizen, 5% for disadvantages I think. I dont know what the interest rate for international...

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I am a green card holder. so everyone who is a U.S citizen is automatically eligible to receive loans that cover the tuition and expenses?... I'm sorry I moved to U.S recently and I don't have much knowledge about loan system:(

thanks! I am a green card holder. so everyone who is a U.S citizen is automatically eligible to receive loans that cover the tuition and expenses?... I'm sorry I moved to U.S recently and I don't have much knowledge about loan system:(

From what I understand, for a US citizen, you are eligible for the federal Direct Loans, which will cover a good portion of tuition and living expenses. But typically, students have to take out additional loans, on top of the Direct Loans, such as Grad Plus Loans. In order to get additional loans, like the Grad Plus Loan, you have to have alright credit or a cosigner.

I have no idea how this works for a green card holder. Any way you'll be a citizen before d-school starts?