Location, location, location..... some stats about different cities.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ronin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of us probably choose med schools based on the characteristics of their neighborhoods. Here are some stats from CNN.com that I think might be of interest to some of us.

Unsafest Cities (ranked by # crimes/1,000 people)
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/unsafest_cities/

Safest Cities (ranked by # crimes/1,000 people)
http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/safest_cities/

But bear in mind that these are just <b>stats</b>! If you calculate crime rates by # crimes/area, the lists would be quite different.

Members don't see this ad.

This is hysterical :laugh:

On what planet is Oakland, CA safer than Omaha, NE ??

DAYUM! since when the hell is "omaha" a major risk factor... and... "Touson, Arizona"... that's a hot spot lemme tell ya.

Oh, and NY, NY? San Jose, CA? Yeah, definitely don't have to watch for pickpockets THERE now do ya?

How da hell they do these studies?

I mean, yo, I know that ain't no flowers and spices up in Cleveland... nahhhh. Visit Euclid and you tell me you smell the sourdough bread bakin' in the oven and i'll hand you the prize. You ain't gonna smell nothin' but izzash and gizzun.

Fo' Real.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indeed the lists are pretty funny. Gigantic cities like NY and LA automatically have an advantage if you calcuate crime/person. What would be FAR more useful is crime/area, like crime/sq.mi. - the lists would definitely be a lot different.

I really hate when people equate nyc with crime. There is no need to anymore or at all. Nyc is not the way it was decades ago. NYC believe it or not IS a VERY safe city.
NYC is the safest large city in the country by the way....... and the BEST! :D

NYC has some of the lowest crime statistics for large cities in the USA.

The stats for large cities are biased. Take LA for instance.

There ARE very safe areas of LA and very unsafe areas. The fact that the city is HUGE makes the per 1000 crime rate look very low. But there are certain areas that you definately wouldn't want to be in after dark.

I only mention it because USC med is in one of those areas ;)