Location vs. Quality of Education?

panvard92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm currently (like many people on this board right now...) am choosing schools for UG. I have it down to BU and U. of Rochester, and both of them cost about the same for me.
While I do like UR's medium sized student body, and open curriculum, I'm worried about being in upstate NY, where there isn't really much going on.
BU is a lot larger, but I feel like I'd meet a lot more people there (due to its largeness, and the fact that Boston is basically a college city) and make more connections, and it's a bit more...mainstream I guess? But, I've heard some things about grade deflation there...

So I'm not exactly sure what I should be prioritizing while comparing these schools because both are good for sciences, so I'm kinda confused. Advice? :D

Members don't see this ad.

Have you visited these schools? If not do so, if you already have consider revisiting. If still stuck make the choice based on $$$$$.

i'd go to BU. call me crazy, but i chose my undergrad (University of Arizona) over others....namely Tufts and Northwestern....because of FUN. I went to countless college sporting events, traveled for it, and loved the weather and meeting tons of people....and i really enjoyed my college experience. i would trade it for nothing.

Yes, it is important to get an education in college, but it is important that you enjoy the college experience. You will get the great education anywhere. What you put into school is what you will get out of it....anywhere. And obviously, I've done quite well for going to my state university. with that said, i would choose Boston. More fun, more activities (sports, food), and most importantly, more people! tons and tons of students!

And regarding grade inflation/deflation, if you are interested in grad school, like medical school, most know things like this (like how Harvard is notoriously known for grade INflation. graduating with below a 3.5 at harvard raises eyebrows from people).

BU undergrad is super nice btw....nice part of boston, right off the river....i'd go there. i may go there for medical school....but thats not near the undergrad.

GL with your decision!

Members don't see this ad :)
And regarding grade inflation/deflation, if you are interested in grad school, like medical school, most know things like this (like how Harvard is notoriously known for grade INflation. graduating with below a 3.5 at harvard raises eyebrows from people).

I generally agree with what you're saying, but not this. Generally, medical schools don't really factor in crap regarding grade inflation/deflation.

Does anyone know how these schools are viewed in "the real world"? I feel like no one really knows about UR...

Does anyone know how these schools are viewed in "the real world"? I feel like no one really knows about UR...

UR? and what does that stand for?

how they are viewed is honestly mostly irrelevant. you can get out of any school whatever you put into it. i can say that i know people from my undergraduate, University of Arizona, that got into top 10 and top 20 medical schools, and some who attended the state graduate school and got top residencies.

it is all about what you do. but if you are seriously looking for what school is viewed upon as more "prestigious" (again, not sure what UR stands for) BU is more prestigious than Rochester.

UR? and what does that stand for?

how they are viewed is honestly mostly irrelevant. you can get out of any school whatever you put into it. i can say that i know people from my undergraduate, University of Arizona, that got into top 10 and top 20 medical schools, and some who attended the state graduate school and got top residencies.

it is all about what you do. but if you are seriously looking for what school is viewed upon as more "prestigious" (again, not sure what UR stands for) BU is more prestigious than Rochester.

I believe UR stands for University of Rochester.

Panvard, I agree with Jturkel. It really matters where you'll be happiest and can get the most out of your school.

I really don't think you should base your decision at all on the prestige of these two schools. If you were picking between UR and Harvard, the Harvard name might open a few doors that UR wouldn't. But, BU and UR are both well-regarded schools without a huge difference in prestige. Not that you should put any stock in it, but US News & World Report actually rates UR higher than BU. Go with whichever school you like most. They both have pluses and minuses that you laid out in your first post.

All that being said, Rochester does seem like it has an awesome curiculum that might better lend itself to having a great UG experience. BU seems like your classic large, research school where you fight with hundreds of other students to get into the classes you want. UR looks like it really lets you try to take whatever you want. But yeah, you gotta judge what's best for you.

I believe UR stands for University of Rochester.

Panvard, I agree with Jturkel. It really matters where you'll be happiest and can get the most out of your school.

I really don't think you should base your decision at all on the prestige of these two schools. If you were picking between UR and Harvard, the Harvard name might open a few doors that UR wouldn't. But, BU and UR are both well-regarded schools without a huge difference in prestige. Not that you should put any stock in it, but US News & World Report actually rates UR higher than BU. Go with whichever school you like most. They both have pluses and minuses that you laid out in your first post.

All that being said, Rochester does seem like it has an awesome curiculum that might better lend itself to having a great UG experience. BU seems like your classic large, research school where you fight with hundreds of other students to get into the classes you want. UR looks like it really lets you try to take whatever you want. But yeah, you gotta judge what's best for you.

i stand corrected!

but i will re-emphasize to the OP, go where you will be happiest....you will succeed at wherever that is.