Music education and Pre med.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I love dogs27

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I’m thinking about majoring in music education. I’m also thinking about pre med options. I know it’s a hard path and I was wondering what other majors would make me stand out for the medical school application?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I’m thinking about majoring in music education. I’m also thinking about pre med options. I know it’s a hard path and I was wondering what other majors would make me stand out for the medical school application?
What will make you stand out is solid GPA in any major
involvement in activities, off-campus, outside of the social/cultural comfort zone
working with marginalized, stigmatized, or underserved communities
expressing what you did in those activities that demonstrate characteristics, traits, and attributes about yourself

adcoms, really, really dont care about majors. they especially dont care that you do double majors, minors, atypical. They do care that you be successful in what you do as you get no points for trying

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
As someone that was a music major their first year, music courses can be really time consuming. I wouldn’t tack on another major, especially education which requires a lot of 1-2 credit courses, if you weren’t seriously contemplating using those skills or pursuing that career path. You can stay deeply involved in music with just a minor or simply taking lessons/performing with ensembles in your spare time.

Of course, if you still feel strongly about it, pursue that route. I would advise against it if you’re just trying to stand out in an applicant pool though. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
We don't care about major or minor, only that you do well.

I've noticed that music majors do tend to interview really well

Reactions: 1 users
This is probably the #1 myth among premeds; no one cares what your major is.

This is probably the #1 myth among premeds; no one cares what your major is.
Not sure that is entirely right to be honest. Sure, you can major in business and as long as you meet the prerequisites for med school and perform well, you will be alright, but majoring in something like, "culinary arts" is certainly not going to make you stand out.

Not sure that is entirely right to be honest. Sure, you can major in business and as long as you meet the prerequisites for med school and perform well, you will be alright, but majoring in something like, "culinary arts" is certainly not going to make you stand out.
Hmm, but majoring in culinary arts could mean good knife skills. May help in doing surgeries? XD

My wife is a physician and her sister and brother in law were Music Ed Majors. She at a 6 A catholic HS and he at a well known D 1 university. You wont get rich and It has always been a struggle financially for them. Unless it's your real love, maybe consider another major if medicine doesn't work out.

a few years I remember someone who had majored in brewing as in beer and went to medical school

Reactions: 3 users
Are you sure about that? Personal experiences? It just might make you stand out more than you think. Maybe the Ad Dean or one of the ADCOMS are foodies or maybe that would be a great ice breaker. And if Medicine doesn’t work out there is a good job market.

I majored in music for undergrad and will be attending medical school in the fall. I would see if you can do a non-education music degree if you want to go this route. Music Ed, at least at my school, requires a semester of student teaching your senior year which would interfere greatly with the application process. I did a BA in music which wasn’t a full performance degree and allowed a lot of flexibility in the courses I took and allowed me to have time for pre med courses and ECs plus practicing music. I’m very happy with my decision to pursue music and medicine, but be sure that you love both of them as this path will involve a lot of long days splitting your time between practicing, rehearsals, and studying.

Reactions: 3 users
I majored in music for undergrad and will be attending medical school in the fall. I would see if you can do a non-education music degree if you want to go this route. Music Ed, at least at my school, requires a semester of student teaching your senior year which would interfere greatly with the application process. I did a BA in music which wasn’t a full performance degree and allowed a lot of flexibility in the courses I took and allowed me to have time for pre med courses and ECs plus practicing music. I’m very happy with my decision to pursue music and medicine, but be sure that you love both of them as this path will involve a lot of long days splitting your time between practicing, rehearsals, and studying.
I have a BA in Chem and a BA in Ed. Student teaching didn't affect my app process during the spring of senior year. It did have great impact on my first 3 yrs of college as I had to attend summer school 2 yrs to get my Chem, Ed, and Pre Med requirements out of the way. I was accepted to Med School in Oct, so the rest of senior yr was very nice with student teaching in the spring. A very good friend was a Neurosurgeon and a talented jazz pianist. I think music and medicine make a wonderful combo, just maybe not Music Ed.

a few years I remember someone who had majored in brewing as in beer and went to medical school
You are likely talking very specific cases. It's like someone who says that a Step 1 of 220 matched to Ortho, yea, it is possible, but not typical.

Are you sure about that? Personal experiences? It just might make you stand out more than you think. Maybe the Ad Dean or one of the ADCOMS are foodies or maybe that would be a great ice breaker. And if Medicine doesn’t work out there is a good job market.
All I'm saying is that it is not a given as one of the posters wrote that no one cares, I challenge that assumption that adcoms don't care, that's all I'm saying. It's similar to grades at one institution vs another, sure do matter.

All I'm saying is that it is not a given as one of the posters wrote that no one cares, I challenge that assumption that adcoms don't care, that's all I'm saying. It's similar to grades at one institution vs another, sure do matter.
I am an adcom. I really dont care about majors

I don't care. One of my students was a plumber before going to college. One of my former associates was an English major from Princeton. A CT surgeon I know used to be a car mechanic. Engineers with the pre reqs and GPA intrigue me as that usually is a tough major to excel in academically. Many scary smart people aren't in medicine, they are in physics and engineering.

Status
Not open for further replies.