Locations of Most DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibn Rushd

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a particular reason why so many DO schools are located just outside major cities? It seems that a lot of them are only 30-45 minutes away from downtowns and social/economic hubs. Western/COMP is about 30 minutes from Los Angeles, CCOM is about 30 minutes from Chicago, the Arizona schools are about 30-40 minutes from Phoenix, and so forth and so on.

It seems like more than just coincide, but rather, some sort of a trend. Does AACOM make it a goal to open DO schools in areas just outside major cities? Other than PCOM, how many DO programs are actually in the city?

This is something I've been wondering. Would love some feedback/insight. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

TCOM is in the middle of Fort Worth. It's small than Dallas (an hour away) but it's still a major city.

It just makes sense economically. They don't have to pay as much for the real estate they want and yet they still have access to the medical resources in the city.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a particular reason why so many DO schools are located just outside major cities? It seems that a lot of them are only 30-45 minutes away from downtowns and social/economic hubs. Western/COMP is about 30 minutes from Los Angeles, CCOM is about 30 minutes from Chicago, the Arizona schools are about 30-40 minutes from Phoenix, and so forth and so on.

It seems like more than just coincide, but rather, some sort of a trend. Does AACOM make it a goal to open DO schools in areas just outside major cities? Other than PCOM, how many DO programs are actually in the city?

This is something I've been wondering. Would love some feedback/insight. Thanks in advance!

Well as far as CCOM it used to be located in Hyde Park (part of Chicago- by University of Chicago) for 86 years until they bought new land in Downers Grove, IL. See the following link for CCOM's history
http://www.midwestern.edu/About_MWU/History_of_MWU.html

Keep two things in mind when trying to answer this question, OP:

1) The older DO schools were established to fill a rural gap not being met by the big urban medical centers.

2) Newer DO schools were usually established AFTER a large medical center already existed in the urban community, so they set up shop in another location to gain access to other medical resources or because land was cheaper/more readily available in more suburban or rural areas.

Some of the schools you've mentioned may not be located in the "major" part of the big city, but if you Google Map them and/or Street View them, you'll see that many are in very very nice areas. I've lived and gone to school in the burbs and in the city, and I *wouldn't* consider living in the burbs a downside, for the most part.

Its part of an elaborate conspiracy to force osteopathic students to live in the suburbs.

At GA-PCOM, I am walking distance to a gymnastics studio, a place where they teach music lessons, two mcdonalds, a thai restaurant run by koreans that doesn't have any actual thai food on the menu, several strip shopping centers, and about 8 karate studios. What else could a guy want?

KCUMB is in the middle of Kansas City...it's about 3-5 minutes from downtown.

touro-ny right in the greatest city in the country.

Its part of an elaborate conspiracy to force osteopathic students to live in the suburbs.

At GA-PCOM, I am walking distance to a gymnastics studio, a place where they teach music lessons, two mcdonalds, a thai restaurant run by koreans that doesn't have any actual thai food on the menu, several strip shopping centers, and about 8 karate studios. What else could a guy want?

pssht... duh, 9 karate centers of course! Everyone knows you can't do ANYTHING with 8... ;)

touro-ny right in the greatest city in the country.

Riiigggghht. I'd rather swallow cyanide than live in NYC. ;)

Nova is in Ft. Lauderdale.
Lecom-B is in a fairly occupied area (not quite Phoenix or LA level, but not too far from Tampa and Sarasota)

Touro-CA, Touro-NV are near populated areas.

DMU is in a "small" city.

PNWU, Pikesville, LMU, KCOM and OUCOM are on the quieter side.

VCOM is in a drinking town with a football problem (Blacksburg, Virginia).

HAHAHAHA!!! Anyway, I agree with the above poster about the older DO schools were rural and of course the real estate prices. Yet, there are plenty of MD schools located in similar areas. SIU, Rosalind Franklin, Loyola...and that;s just Illinois. Well, Loyola is ALMOST in Chicago. Not quite...

Also, make no mistake about it... while Fort Worth is a legitimate city with a large population, the entire D-FW metroplex is basically the world's largest suburb. Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington, Las Colinas, Plano, Addison, Frisco, etc... I could go on forever. All blended together with an endless string of Best Buys, Fry's, Super Wal-Marts, Applebees, CompUSA's, and so-on.

With a collective population that I think is close to 9-million people. All driving SUV's or cute little BMW roadsters, taking their kids to soccer practice, getting boob jobs, living secret, deviant lifestyles down on Harry Hines Blvd.... it is truly a sight to behold.

Actually, there are some pretty cool parts of D-FW, and Ft. Worth can be a lot of fun, but it is amazing how much of the metroplex is really like that.

MSUCOM is starting a location at Detroit Medical Center. :thumbup: This of course assumes you love urban decay.

Honestly, I am not super concerned about location as long as I am going to medical school within the USA's borders, I am going to be a happy camper. I have heard of a lot of solid applicants going to foreign schools these days. I honestly do not want to wind up on one of the islands.

MSUCOM is starting a location at Detroit Medical Center. :thumbup: This of course assumes you love urban decay.

I have been to Detroit, while it is rough its not Rio De Janeiro or Jakarta. I have also seen the hutongs of Beijing. Those cities are true examples of urban decay. Oh our current President lived in Jakarta as a child.