Locum Tenens Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

gottakeepitreal

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have one more year of EM residency to go and want (for multiple reasons) to pursue locums for a year or two. I am curious to hear feedback about must dos/don'ts in the job hunting process. Any certain companies to use/avoid? States to go to/avoid? Minimum pay to request as a new grad? Recommended term lengths? Any tips for negotiating this process are welcome!
 
We have a search bar.

- A bunch will say don't do it your first year
- Giving out your CV means you agree to have an agency represent you
- Avoid NY, IL given high liability
- You won't find many $300+ shifts anymore
- Envision and USACS are evil distilled down to it's purest form.
 
Nothing wrong with doing locums right out of the gate. One strategy to consider is getting credentialed at a couple local places for per diem / part time and then picking up locums shifts away some other higher paying place.

I work on the travel team of a cmg, and it has worked out for me so far. People here will tell you to 100% absolutely not do this without ever having done it themselves. It's not for everyone, and it's not something I will do forever. Anecdotally, locums rates are dropping to about what I am paid, without the guaranteed number of hours / month.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing wrong with doing locums right out of the gate. One strategy to consider is getting credentialed at a couple local places for per diem / part time and then picking up locums shifts away some other higher paying place.

I work on the travel team of a cmg, and it has worked out for me so far. People here will tell you to 100% absolutely not do this without ever having done it themselves. It's not for everyone, and it's not something I will do forever. Anecdotally, locums rates are dropping to about what I am paid, without the guaranteed number of hours / month.

Which CMG?
 
Nothing wrong with doing locums right out of the gate. One strategy to consider is getting credentialed at a couple local places for per diem / part time and then picking up locums shifts away some other higher paying place.

I work on the travel team of a cmg, and it has worked out for me so far. People here will tell you to 100% absolutely not do this without ever having done it themselves. It's not for everyone, and it's not something I will do forever. Anecdotally, locums rates are dropping to about what I am paid, without the guaranteed number of hours / month.

Absolutely you can do it out of residency. You just have to make sure you are working in a proper high volume, high acuity ED so the skills don't atrophy and you learn how to move-the-meat. I did it for about 5 years before burning out. The locums salaries are down a lot, and it's not really worth spending the time traveling for slightly higher pay.