Locum Tenens Suggestions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottakeepitreal

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one more year of EM residency to go and want (for multiple reasons) to pursue locums for a year or two. I am curious to hear feedback about must dos/don'ts in the job hunting process. Any certain companies to use/avoid? States to go to/avoid? Minimum pay to request as a new grad? Recommended term lengths? Any tips for negotiating this process are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a search bar.

- A bunch will say don't do it your first year
- Giving out your CV means you agree to have an agency represent you
- Avoid NY, IL given high liability
- You won't find many $300+ shifts anymore
- Envision and USACS are evil distilled down to it's purest form.

Reactions: 5 users
Nothing wrong with doing locums right out of the gate. One strategy to consider is getting credentialed at a couple local places for per diem / part time and then picking up locums shifts away some other higher paying place.

I work on the travel team of a cmg, and it has worked out for me so far. People here will tell you to 100% absolutely not do this without ever having done it themselves. It's not for everyone, and it's not something I will do forever. Anecdotally, locums rates are dropping to about what I am paid, without the guaranteed number of hours / month.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing wrong with doing locums right out of the gate. One strategy to consider is getting credentialed at a couple local places for per diem / part time and then picking up locums shifts away some other higher paying place.

I work on the travel team of a cmg, and it has worked out for me so far. People here will tell you to 100% absolutely not do this without ever having done it themselves. It's not for everyone, and it's not something I will do forever. Anecdotally, locums rates are dropping to about what I am paid, without the guaranteed number of hours / month.

Which CMG?

Absolutely you can do it out of residency. You just have to make sure you are working in a proper high volume, high acuity ED so the skills don't atrophy and you learn how to move-the-meat. I did it for about 5 years before burning out. The locums salaries are down a lot, and it's not really worth spending the time traveling for slightly higher pay.

Reactions: 2 users