Locum tenens: what’s the average hourly payment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ahamis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
“While salaries for locum tenens psychiatry jobs vary based on location, facility, shift and need, you’ll typically earn $153.00 to $175.00//hr.”

I have been checking locum positions and I found a company with those fees. I have the impression the earnings are in the lower range. For those with experience with locums, what would be a good earn per hour?

Members don't see this ad.

“While salaries for locum tenens psychiatry jobs vary based on location, facility, shift and need, you’ll typically earn $153.00 to $175.00//hr.”

I have been checking locum positions and I found a company with those fees. I have the impression the earnings are in the lower range. For those with experience with locums, what would be a good earn per hour?

I'm looking to start moonlighting shortly...but that seems low based on my experiences.

I don’t do locums but I’d think $200 is pretty typical.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It would depend on the location, type of work, volume and what other expenses are paid for (eg travel, accommodation). In general correctional and state hospital inpatient positions pay more in undesirable locations whereas outpatient positions in more reasonable locales and telepsych pay less. Also depends on the agency - some have very good rates and others pay badly.

email I got today was $/250-335/hr depending on the job. I don’t think they pay any expenses. All corrections or state hospital jobs.

How far outside a major metro is this?

Could someone have a career doing strictly locums without having to move from a large metro area? Or would there be a lot of non working time between jobs?

Depends on region. $195-225 was the quote I heard for Boston area

Reactions: 1 user