Locums Anesthesia Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,

I was potentially to do locums anesthesia and I was wondering what the best locums agencies to use?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings all,

I was potentially to do locums anesthesia and I was wondering what the best locums agencies to use?

thanks!

Often times it is best to start with the hospital you want to work at. If it is a PP sometimes they will hire you for per diem work. Occasionally the hospital will hire you directly. The hospital I currently locums at is under contract with an AMC, and they only hire through that AMC or through one particular locums company. I have found competitive rates working per diem directly for a hospital and through agencies, just depends. The good news is that if this is a side gig, you hold all the cards, don’t work for less then $200/hr to sit a stool, and that is on the low side. If supervising, you should be ~$250. Many anesthesiologists bend over, don’t be one of them!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Set up an independent "throw-away" email address
2) Sign up for google voice and get a "throw-away" phone number
3) Set the number to "do not disturb"
4) Post on gaswork and doccafe and only give out the throw-away number and email
5) Screen all the replies and offers and have built in responses to the masses of recruiters
6) Over time you weed out the spammers and learn who is actually trying to find you a spot versus who got your number off some master list and is merely adding you to their email blasts every other day
7) Work and talk on the phone exclusively with the "good" recruiters and ignore the others

Yes I just quoted myself.

Reactions: 6 users
There are a lot of locums companies. The best that have been in business for long charge the hospital way more. It so happened that I got a great rate, but when things turned south, the hospital / AMC cut loose the More expensive companies. The bigger companies have more listings Nationwide and plug you into a different position when the contract ends or if you don’t like it. But the bigger companies try to pay less.
Make sure they pay every fortnight and keep a tab of the overtime hours.
figure out if it 8 hour guarantee or 10 hr guarantee / per day and try to get work for 5 days in a week. Sometimes the Hospital may need for 2-3 days only in a week.
Negotiate if you are on beeper call. Make sure if you are on call you are treated nicely postcall like full timers.
If you eventually like the hospital and you would want to become full time, figure out the buy in that you hospital will have to shell out to make you full time.

Reactions: 1 users