Locums buy out cost?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been working as a locums on and off since graduating. I was moonlighting as a locums on weekends until September. I found a part time position with the same corporation, but being a slave to the locums company, the corporation would have to buy me. The cost the locums company is asking seems extremely high. Anyone know the average buy out fee for a part time jobs for a locums company?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this something a doctor would negotiate with locums? For example, I'm working locums for now but if I find a good place I'd like them to be able to buy out my contract for $10K or something like that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this something a doctor would negotiate with locums? For example, I'm working locums for now but if I find a good place I'd like them to be able to buy out my contract for $10K or something like that?
I will negotiate with locums if I do locums in the future. Locums recruiters are pushy and manipulative, I have learned to stand up to them. Some are transparent about it, some keep it hidden. In the past, I lost a great locums moonlighting job because the hospital got rid of all locums due to cost and the psychiatry chief wanted the hospital to pay to keep me, but the hospital said no. Where I am currently working as a locums, the hospital negotiated it so there was NO buy out at all if I became a hospital employee. I would say that Locums need you more than you need them, make them show you their buy out and demand a low buy out or a free buy out.

We just do not advocate for ourselves. No buy outs, no restrictive covenants, no non-competes. No, no, no! Negotiate all of that away. The locums company is making a significant amount off the time you agreed to work at a given location. That should be more than sufficient to cover their minimal advertising and onboarding costs.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, but sometimes it's too expensive for the hospital
LOL. Hospitals waste so much money on so many things - and they are usually non-profits too. I don't by this logic anymore.

I am of the opinion no hospital should be a non-profit, unless it is tied to ownership/management by the local city/county government.

My recent locums experience. I have been with the same recruiter for multiple positions. The hospital where I am currently working as a locums had it written into the agreement that if they hired me, they didn't have to pay anything to the locums company. I also was looking at a clinic which was associated with a hospital where I used to moonlight weekends. They initially quoted the clinic 50k. I tried communicating with the locums company professionally and respectfully and they ignored my calls and emails. So, I said that this was ridiculous and said that I would post all of the details of my experience with them on every physician group I belong to. That got the attention of one of the managers and fast. They offered the clinic a buy out of 17kish. They already have a bad reputation for not paying as high as other locums companies and they didn't want a worse reputation for the other things they do. Not sure if the clinic admin will agree or if I will even end up there. but it's negotiable. In the future, I will not allow a locums to present me without a legal document stating that there won't be a buy out fee. My recruiter does nothing. I set up my own weekends when I worked weekends, I set up my own extensions at my current position. The facility where I am working now actually said they "would prefer not to deal with the locums company " ie they don't like whoever calls or emails them

SDN should start its own locums company...

Reactions: 1 user
Or simply a non-profit locums company...

Wasn't @AD04 looking for a next level to a career? Here is an opportunity and will suck up a lot of time.

Or simply a non-profit locums company...

Wasn't @AD04 looking for a next level to a career? Here is an opportunity and will suck up a lot of time.

Ha ha. I feel like this is going a few levels backwards.

We should all start locums companies...............