Locums contract language tip(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasdoc77

A mere instrument: nothing less, nothing more.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the new and old alike. This from a friend (of a friend). He/she works a few days a week and is at a similar point in career to myself. Their reply to a desperate locums recruiter follows:

"Thank you kindly for reaching out. I currently work 3-4 days a week leaving one day available consistently and a second day occasionally. The rate I charge for a weekday from 6:30-3p is $500/hr. I would be willing to consider XYZ Medical Center only and no OB. My rates change outside of the aforementioned hours. I require a 6 hour guarantee and a month's cancellation notice. If you forward me the contract I will review it. Also, my CV is not to be presented to any other facilities/groups etc. and it goes without saying that I refuse to have a no-compete placed on my employment from any end."

As physicians (healers), we are naturally predisposed to come from a place of good faith. Don't be predated by wolves (business, private equity, admin) who approach from another angle.

Be well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
For the new and old alike. This from a friend (of a friend). He/she works a few days a week and is at a similar point in career to myself. Their reply to a desperate locums recruiter follows:

"Thank you kindly for reaching out. I currently work 3-4 days a week leaving one day available consistently and a second day occasionally. The rate I charge for a weekday from 6:30-3p is $500/hr. I would be willing to consider XYZ Medical Center only and no OB. My rates change outside of the aforementioned hours. I require a 6 hour guarantee and a month's cancellation notice. If you forward me the contract I will review it. Also, my CV is not to be presented to any other facilities/groups etc. and it goes without saying that I refuse to have a no-compete placed on my employment from any end."

As physicians (healers), we are naturally predisposed to come from a place of good faith. Don't be predated by wolves (business, private equity, admin) who approach from another angle.

Be well.

500/hr?! With 6 hour guarantee!
I like it!

Ultimately, the two partys' "free markets" may or may not align but nonetheless......

Non-crony capitalism at work.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Be well.

Do they get many bites?

Be well.
The hours are reasonable but the rate is high. Typically, $350 per hour x 6 hours (minimum) would be a decent offer if you wanted the work. I see $300 per hours x 8 hours all the time these days so if one has enough work I would stick by the $300-$350 per hour rate. That said, these are desperate times and $400 per hour for last minute gigs may still get some bites.

Reactions: 2 users

Be well.

Looks like an expert witness spiel to lawyers.

Also make it at will contract. Meaning you will only work when you want to. Usually locums contracts are short term and usually need one month exit clause. But now I see anesthesiologists are not wanting 30 day clauses. If the locums company want a guaranteed 2-3 months contract negotiate a higher hourly rate. The 6- 8 hr guaranteed hours should be continuous and you Can negotiate a transport /travel for reimbursement of time spent in trying to get to the locat of the hospital

Reactions: 1 user
Also make it at will contract. Meaning you will only work when you want to. Usually locums contracts are short term and usually need one month exit clause. But now I see anesthesiologists are not wanting 30 day clauses. If the locums company want a guaranteed 2-3 months contract negotiate a higher hourly rate. The 6- 8 hr guaranteed hours should be continuous and you Can negotiate a transport /travel for reimbursement of time spent in trying to get to the locat of the hospital

I think some practices with that National 4-lettered company which recently acquired even more practices are getting pretty desperate.

They’re asking for volunteers from one practice to another while on their vacation weeks, and pay them essentially double or more.

Sounds good until everyone burns out.

Reactions: 1 user