Locums jobs in Australia/New Zealand

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychresy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone ever receive locums inquiries about jobs down under? Curious what they pay. Thinking of trying to do it for a couple of years but unsure if my debt burden will allow for it. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Don’t they practice differently in a different country? Or do they have the same guidelines and standard of care as USA?

Don’t they practice differently in a different country? Or do they have the same guidelines and standard of care as USA?
Same standards. I often see locums companies looking for American doctors down there, just not sure what typical rates are.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same standards. I often see locums companies looking for American doctors down there, just not sure what typical rates are.
NZ pays far less than the US, approximately 80k USD per year last I checked. Australia can pay comparable to the US.

Reactions: 1 user
NZ pays far less than the US, approximately 80k USD per year last I checked. Australia can pay comparable to the US.

Hm. So these us based locums companies probably wouldn't be paying similar us rates? That's unfortunate to hear.

Psychiatrist locum rates in Australia are around $2k AUD per day, with accommodation/car hire etc provided for the duration of the placement.

According to my senior colleagues the locum rates haven't shifted for about the last 15 years. Somehow I got added to a mailing list after I qualified, and occasionally there will be offers creeping up to 2.2-2.3k/day if they're looking for a job to be filled urgently.

For local psychiatrists out of that $2k a pretty hefty chunk of that gets taken out in superannuation (basically a pension fund) and tax contributions, but I doubt that would apply to overseas doctors.

Not many of my peers were interest in locum work - most would have already been established in the state they trained in, and the majority of locum jobs are in rural and remote areas, although there are occasionally short term metro jobs for various leave cover arrangements.

I get e-mails from a locums group for jobs in NZ all the time. There aren't too many details in the messages, but I will say that it's tempting...

One of my buddies from residency is actually looking into a locums gig in NZ. From the information that he's gotten so far, the pay actually wouldn't be terribly different from what he could get here. Definitely a bit less, and the increased COL will be a bummer, but the difference in gross pay wasn't substantial.

You can plan to make less than you would as a locum tenens physician in the United States. But in most cases your travel, housing, transportation, malpractice coverage, registration and immigration is provided as part of your locums contract in order to offset some of the difference in compensation.

Are these jobs typically in far flung, not so great locations? Or would it be possible to find something in a desirable city?

Usually the worst places. I’m from Texas though, so it isn’t like driving to El Paso to reach a great city either.

Bummer. Will need to find plan B in the event dear leader is elected to (or steals) another 4 years.

Bummer. Will need to find plan B in the event dear leader is elected to (or steals) another 4 years.

It is not that easy to emigrate. You probably say that because you have never paid the price.
And for Americans going oversea, as far as I know, you still need to pay USA federal tax even living abroad...

I spoke once with a recruiter about NZ. They were offering a salary around 160-180k last time I checked.

I know of one doc years ago, went to NZ for a gig, liked it and packed up and went back.

The thing is, if people want to go work where there's more sheep than people, you can also find such rural places in America too, even with big mountains like NZ.

I know of one doc years ago, went to NZ for a gig, liked it and packed up and went back.

The thing is, if people want to go work where there's more sheep than people, you can also find such rural places in America too, even with big mountains like NZ.
But with less gun crazy, angry, people and access to healthcare for everyone.
And less Covid.
Believe it or not, there is a world outside of the USA that some people want to explore.

The more I've traveled, I actually breathe a sigh of relief upon plane touch down in the land of gun rights. Gun rights and access are one of the greatest gifts of our country.

• Hmm
The more I've traveled, I actually breathe a sigh of relief upon plane touch down in the land of gun rights. Gun rights and access are one of the greatest gifts of our country.
And you are very entitled to your opinion and rights. Just don’t assume everyone else agrees with you.

Reactions: 1 user

Have you wanted to use a gun often when you travel abroad?

I totally agree with you—when I travel abroad what I really miss is the ease of being able to kill people! I don’t want to have to plan it, or get all close and messy with knives or fists, I’d rather just do it senselessly with something I can pick up at Walmart.

• Haha