Locums Malpractice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted875186

I was in contact with a local hosptial about taking some call shifts per Dien. They sent me a contract, want me to provide my own malpractice insurance and tail coverage.

1. Do most Locums assignments have the hospital cover malpractice. I know agencies will cover it, but what about direct with the hospital?
2. How experience is this malpractice?
3. How does this work with per Dien work. Do you need to buy a policy for the whole time employed, or can they cover you for just days at a time, etc. I was planning on working sporadic days instead of says in a row.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was in contact with a local hosptial about taking some call shifts per Dien. They sent me a contract, want me to provide my own malpractice insurance and tail coverage.

1. Do most Locums assignments have the hospital cover malpractice. I know agencies will cover it, but what about direct with the hospital?
2. How experience is this malpractice?
3. How does this work with per Dien work. Do you need to buy a policy for the whole time employed, or can they cover you for just days at a time, etc. I was planning on working sporadic days instead of says in a row.
Thanks
You can make them provide you malpractice. Very easy for them to do especially if you are covering for a full time taking time off. It’s already paid for and they just plug you in someone’s time slot.
But if they insist, then you can buy a cheaper policy since it’s going to be part time.

You can make them provide you malpractice. Very easy for them to do especially if you are covering for a full time taking time off. It’s already paid for and they just plug you in someone’s time slot.
But if they insist, then you can buy a cheaper policy since it’s going to be part time.

If your practice buy your insurance you can also try to call insurance company to see if you can add an addendum to your policy....

Members don't see this ad :)
Walk away, or insist they cover you, or if you really really want to work there, get a quote for an occurrence policy of your own and add its cost to their offer - and then walk if they won't agree.

Reactions: 1 user
If they are local, shouldn’t your current malpractice insurance cover you for any work you do there?

My policy covers me anywhere in the state.

If they are local, shouldn’t your current malpractice insurance cover you for any work you do there?

My policy covers me anywhere in the state.
I’m a current fellow. Not sure my current malpractice with my program will actually cover it.

I’m a current fellow. Not sure my current malpractice with my program will actually cover it.

OK gotcha. Didn’t realize you were a trainee. In that case you are probably only covered at your training institution.

How does this work exactly? Do you forward you a cover letter from their carrier affirming coverage amounts w/ your name on it? How do you prove you're covered and amounts? Same regarding tail, if you negotiate that coverage as well.

How does this work exactly? Do you forward you a cover letter from their carrier affirming coverage amounts w/ your name on it? How do you prove you're covered and amounts? Same regarding tail, if you negotiate that coverage as well.

Hopefully it’s spelled out in the contract. This should not be a verbal agreement of any sort.
The hospital may be so small, and don’t know how to add an anesthesiologist. But I’d imagine, if that’s the case, they may have a locum company that they use. As discussed before, sometimes the hospital/department just hand locum company a lump sum of money and have locum company deal with it.