Locums questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby pen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I would appreciate any input from the group in regards to locum experiences and contacts. I recent found a position that fits me well through a locums group. However when I received the contract it spoke about if I get a take a permanent job with the company they get 25% of my first years salary including bonuses, this is also triggered if I take a job with in 15 miles of the location of the employer. I would not be concerned but this is a major city. Is this normal for locums and is it possible to negotiate this part out of the contract? Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't worked locums, but I've heard there is commonly a buy-out that the employer would pay the locums company if they decided to hire you on. The scenario you're describing sounds stupid. I'd assume the locums company probably would also have a buyout from the employer and would be double dipping with you paying them also. And it's complete nonsense you would pay them if you took a job at a facility simply because it's in proximity to where you worked.

Everything is negotiable. And if they won't change the contract I'd consider finding a different locums company.

Psychiatry continues to be in extreme demand. We had a psychiatrist resign from an inpatient position and it took us 7 months to find a LOCUMS. Not to hire someone. 7 months to get a locums psychiatrist here. 7 months of locums companies (plural) doing whatever they could to find a psychiatrist so our hospital could pay the locums company a king's ransom to have someone here. And it took 7 months. At this point in time it seems the psychiatrist has the leverage. Locums companies need you more than you need them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
They specified in the contract that the facility could “pay this fee” with in 40 days so I would not have to. But yes, I will be trying to negotiate all of it out, including the “buy out fee” otherwise will be walking away. It’s my fault for not insisting from the start there not be a buy out fee as part of the contract. It slipped my mind as the negotiations happened quickly once we found this opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They specified in the contract that the facility could “pay this fee” with in 40 days so I would not have to. But yes, I will be trying to negotiate all of it out, including the “buy out fee” otherwise will be walking away. It’s my fault for not insisting from the start there not be a buy out fee as part of the contract. It slipped my mind as the negotiations happened quickly once we found this opportunity.
It may not be possible to negotiate away the buyout fee from the hospital you're actually working at. If it doesn't seem possible, I'd try to negotiate a flat fee instead of a percentage of salary. Like $15-25K.

Having a fee for taking a job within 15 miles is outrageous esp in a major city. I have not seen anything like that and would not agree to that.

charging a fee to your employer if you become permanent is relatively standard. I would want air tight language that your employer is responsible for paying that fee not me

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I haven't worked locums, but I've heard there is commonly a buy-out that the employer would pay the locums company if they decided to hire you on. The scenario you're describing sounds stupid. I'd assume the locums company probably would also have a buyout from the employer and would be double dipping with you paying them also. And it's complete nonsense you would pay them if you took a job at a facility simply because it's in proximity to where you worked.

Everything is negotiable. And if they won't change the contract I'd consider finding a different locums company.

Psychiatry continues to be in extreme demand. We had a psychiatrist resign from an inpatient position and it took us 7 months to find a LOCUMS. Not to hire someone. 7 months to get a locums psychiatrist here. 7 months of locums companies (plural) doing whatever they could to find a psychiatrist so our hospital could pay the locums company a king's ransom to have someone here. And it took 7 months. At this point in time it seems the psychiatrist has the leverage. Locums companies need you more than you need them.
Where are you located? They probably aren’t paying that much because they honesty don’t care if it gets filled or not because psychiatry is a loss leader for the hospital and they don’t care about mental health care

Having a fee for taking a job within 15 miles is outrageous esp in a major city. I have not seen anything like that and would not agree to that.

charging a fee to your employer if you become permanent is relatively standard. I would want air tight language that your employer is responsible for paying that fee not me

Update. They’re willing to take out the language about 15 miles. They told me they had already reached an agreement with the employer about the fee if I take a job and are willing to take that part out. There’s also language in there about not taking a job there for at least 90 days or there’s compensation for the locums company from me or the employer that would need to be paid, and that I can’t take a job w the entity or its affiliates for 2 years unless it’s through the locums company if another position arises . Is that a reasonable amount of time? This seems rife with red flags and they’ve lost some trust(not that I would ever fully trust a locums company and will be working with my attorney now) Is this typical of dealing with bigger locums? I’ve had some good experiences with some MD run ones.

Where are you located? They probably aren’t paying that much because they honesty don’t care if it gets filled or not because psychiatry is a loss leader for the hospital and they don’t care about mental health care
Mountain West, I'm not 100% sure the rate for locums, but I think it's at 180/hr

Update. They’re willing to take out the language about 15 miles. They told me they had already reached an agreement with the employer about the fee if I take a job and are willing to take that part out. There’s also language in there about not taking a job there for at least 90 days or there’s compensation for the locums company from me or the employer that would need to be paid, and that I can’t take a job w the entity or its affiliates for 2 years unless it’s through the locums company if another position arises . Is that a reasonable amount of time? This seems rife with red flags and they’ve lost some trust(not that I would ever fully trust a locums company and will be working with my attorney now) Is this typical of dealing with bigger locums? I’ve had some good experiences with some MD run ones.
It would be nice if that wasn't in there at all. But realistically 90 days isn't that long. You could quit the locums job and just wait 3 months to sign with the new job.

Negotiate it all out. The locums company is already making money. There should be no restrictive covenants at all.

Hi All,

I would appreciate any input from the group in regards to locum experiences and contacts. I recent found a position that fits me well through a locums group. However when I received the contract it spoke about if I get a take a permanent job with the company they get 25% of my first years salary including bonuses, this is also triggered if I take a job with in 15 miles of the location of the employer. I would not be concerned but this is a major city. Is this normal for locums and is it possible to negotiate this part out of the contract? Thank you for your help!
This is Jackson and Coker. They easily removed the 15 mile radius on my contract. They way they explained it to me is that the 25% buyout will only be activated if the hospital system does not follow-through on their end per their contract. I am currently in the process of trying to get this removed but I am also now looking at other opportunities. Get it removed or find another position.

Reactions: 1 users