LOI for a Waitlist spot. Reader please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffee-doc

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read an old thread about a user on here that just said **** it on his/her one waitlist spot and sent in some crazy soul-searching LOI's that were 2/3 pages long over the course of a couple months and eventually was accepted.

So I'm at that point where I'm just saying **** it for my 1 waitlist spot and I wrote another letter explaining why I continue to persevere for this goal and whateva. Would anyone be willing to read it and tell me how it is? Or if it's a bit too much? Warning: It's a little long.

If not, I'll just use it as another personal statement.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not willing to be desperate to become a doctor, you shouldn't even be considering becoming one.

I'm a re-applicant. I once felt the desperation that OP is currently feeling. However, from my understanding and reading on SDN, adcoms don't admit desperate applicants because it shows that other medical schools chose to pass on said applicants. Desperation is a sign of weakness.

LOIs would be helpful if OP was accepted somewhere else but wants to attend a specific school.

I'm a re-applicant. I once felt the desperation that OP is currently feeling. However, from my understanding and reading on SDN, adcoms don't admit desperate applicants because it shows that other medical schools chose to pass on said applicants. Desperation is a sign of weakness.

LOIs would be helpful if OP was accepted somewhere else but wants to attend a specific school.
I sent and LOI when I applied and didn't have others acceptances. It helped me get an interview. I don't see why a school would want an applicant with other acceptances. That just lowered their chances to get someone that may like into their school. Don't believe everything you hear.

Reactions: 1 users
I sent and LOI when I applied and didn't have others acceptances. It helped me get an interview. I don't see why a school would want an applicant with other acceptances. That just lowered their chances to get someone that may like into their school. Don't believe everything you hear.

Perhaps the applicant was accepted out of state but wants to attend a school near home. That's a credible reason to send an LOI. It shows the AdCom that you're not desperate and that you have a valid reason for applying to their school.

To OP, it's best to send an update letter. Don't just send a letter literally begging to be accepted (which appears you are based on your initial post).

Perhaps the applicant was accepted out of state but wants to attend a school near home. That's a credible reason to send an LOI. It shows the AdCom that you're not desperate and that you have a valid reason for applying to their school.

To OP, it's best to send an update letter. Don't just send a letter literally begging to be accepted (which appears you are based on your initial post).
Dude, it's not a girl you're asking out. It's okay to show a school you're desperate for them. The same is true for job hunting.

Reactions: 3 users
I just thought it would show definitive passion and it kinda is a better understanding of me compared to my personal statement. And it would make me stick out more while on the waitlist.

Dude, it's not a girl you're asking out. It's okay to show a school you're desperate for them. The same is true for job hunting.
#rekt
But for real OP, send the letter in.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps looking desperate will look poorly on you. Perhaps not. Perhaps the adcom wouldn't care.

In any case, I wish OP the best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

You have to understand, adcoms on SDN cannot speak for all medical schools or committees. Take what they say as what it is - advice; not the universal law. For all three medical school interviews I attended, without being prompted by an interviewee asking, adcoms told us to was okay to send letters. One school blatantly said sending a letter will help you get off the waitlist. Medical schools love when students love them.

That being said @coffee-doc, email/call someone at the school and ask if letters are appropriate or even encouraged. If they are, there is a professional way of portraying your willingness to attend their school without sounding desperate and pitiful. You can PM me your letter, I'd like to take a look at it and provide feedback.

You have to understand, adcoms on SDN cannot speak for all medical schools or committees. Take what they say as what it is - advice; not the universal law. For all three medical school interviews I attended, without being prompted by an interviewee asking, adcoms told us to was okay to send letters. One school blatantly said sending a letter will help you get off the waitlist. Medical schools love when students love them.

That being said @coffee-doc, email/call someone at the school and ask if letters are appropriate or even encouraged. If they are, there is a professional way of portraying your willingness to attend their school without sounding desperate and pitiful. You can PM me your letter, I'd like to take a look at it and provide feedback.

thanks. about to PM. I understand it's a little dramatic.

Some schools may not accept it, those that don't won't add it and them that do will! Take the chance