Loma Linda University Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SemperJeff

Fidei Defensor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats to all who were accepted. Looking forward to meeting you in August.

Members don't see this ad.

SemperJeff said:
Congrats to all who were accepted. Looking forward to meeting you in August.

I'm interviewing wednesday.. any advice?

also, how long after you interviewed did you hear back from them?

firebird69guy said:

Pre-interview advice: This is always a good for any school, but perhaps even more applicable for Loma Linda given its affiliation: pray. HA HA HA, j/k Sorry I couldn't resist. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
hah oh yeah, i'm shavin my goatee and everything! ultra conservative!! =)

firebird69guy said:
how long after you interviewed did you hear back from them?

I would have given some advice if I found this thread earlier...but I interviewed on 12/13 and got called on 1/24. Some people who interviewed early in January got the call on the 24th too.

How'd the day go?

firebird69guy said:

Well by the time I read this question, your interview passed. Hopefully it went well.

I interviewed in the 2nd week of October. This was my second interview with them. I had a "informal" interview in spring of '05 with them. I go to a Seventh-day Adventist college and Loma Linda sends their Admissions guy to all of the Adventist colleges twice a year. The downside is that we don't get the whole tour of Loma Linda during the interview process.

Anyways, to answer the question, I heard back from them in like the second week of December.

See you guys next fall.

SemperJeff said:
Well by the time I read this question, your interview passed. Hopefully it went well.

I interviewed in the 2nd week of October. This was my second interview with them. I had a "informal" interview in spring of '05 with them. I go to a Seventh-day Adventist college and Loma Linda sends their Admissions guy to all of the Adventist colleges twice a year. The downside is that we don't get the whole tour of Loma Linda during the interview process.

Anyways, to answer the question, I heard back from them in like the second week of December.

Hi guys! What did you put on your financial aid applications about housing? On-campus or off? I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet as I am waitlisted elsewhere. Does it affect your aid if you're off campus...could I change it after they've made an offer if I decide to stay on campus?

Confusion... :confused:

Jagleaso said:
See you guys next fall.

I thought I would add to this thread. I will be going to LLU in August, and I look forward to meeting everyone! :D

hey everyone!
i'm a current LLU school of medicine student, and i was browsing the forums here and I saw this thread. if you have any questions about housing, fin. aid., the new curriculum, or anything else, just post and send me a pm (i don't log on very often, so a pm will send me an email and get me back here).

good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

Hello Everyone!! I am very excited about attending med school this fall! I am looking forward to meeting all of you! Has anyone received any other packets including the immunizations, transcripts, or anything other than the acceptance letter?

Loma Linda University Class of 2010!!!!

joe6102 said:
hey everyone!
i'm a current LLU school of medicine student, and i was browsing the forums here and I saw this thread. if you have any questions about housing, fin. aid., the new curriculum, or anything else, just post and send me a pm (i don't log on very often, so a pm will send me an email and get me back here).

good luck to everyone still waiting :luck:

Can you describe the new curriculum more? How many hrs/wk are spent in lecture, small group, case-based work? How are the courses set up? What are the clinical experiences the first two years?

I'm having difficulty picking between a couple of schools, so any help is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad :)
yi sheng said:
Can you describe the new curriculum more? How many hrs/wk are spent in lecture, small group, case-based work? How are the courses set up? What are the clinical experiences the first two years?

I'm having difficulty picking between a couple of schools, so any help is much appreciated!

Usually there are 3 hours per day of lecture (sometimes 4 on Monday) which brings it to 16 hours each week. Then there are small group meetings, 1-2 hours long, once or twice a week, plus lots of labs in the afternoon. Every Friday you'll be done by noon at the latest, and you'll have maybe 1 other day that week where you're done by noon - the other days have labs (anatomy, histology, neuro, pdx, etc) from 1-3 or 3-5, or both.

Class and most labs are optional - all of the notes are given to you at the start of each term. You'll have 5 weeks of class, then a week of tests, and that continues all year.

Clinical experiences are 2 weeks on the wards to start of the year - mostly shadowing residents and attendings, then 4 more weeks of that in 2 other specialties at the end of the first year.

MexiGirl said:
Hello Everyone!! I am very excited about attending med school this fall! I am looking forward to meeting all of you! Has anyone received any other packets including the immunizations, transcripts, or anything other than the acceptance letter?

Loma Linda University Class of 2010!!!!

Hi! Yay for classmates! Are you living on campus or off? I've gotten the housing and immunization packets, and I just got a letter asking for my transcripts, which I sent about a month ago, so I'll have to figure that out. They said something in the admissions letter about an optional orientation before the beginning of school. Has anyone heard what that is? Look forward to meeting you!

kmellowyellow said:
Hi! Yay for classmates! Are you living on campus or off? I've gotten the housing and immunization packets, and I just got a letter asking for my transcripts, which I sent about a month ago, so I'll have to figure that out. They said something in the admissions letter about an optional orientation before the beginning of school. Has anyone heard what that is? Look forward to meeting you!

Well I am going to live off campus. I am currently working at LLU SOM as a lab assistant. There are plenty of apt. complexes within walking distance to the campus (2-5 min). If you plan to live on campus there will be an additional required chapel service once a week..I think it is on Friday evening. All med students must attend a chapel service on Wed. mornings. When did you receive the housing and immunization packet...b/c I have only received the letter requesting my final transcript. I haven't heard or received any notification of the orientation...but will post any info I can find. I also look forward to meeting you!

:love: :love: :love:

Anyone received a financial aid package yet? I am unclear about the process at LLU. I can't tell if I'm supposed to send in a signed promissory note for the Staffords or not, or what else they might need before letting me know specifics. I'm trying to decide between this and another school and it would be nice to know the financial specifics before making a final decision....

newguy357 said:
Anyone received a financial aid package yet? I am unclear about the process at LLU. I can't tell if I'm supposed to send in a signed promissory note for the Staffords or not, or what else they might need before letting me know specifics. I'm trying to decide between this and another school and it would be nice to know the financial specifics before making a final decision....

You can email the Frank Rendel at [email protected] or call at (909) 558-4509. Rendel takes care of the financial aid packets for LLU. I met with him about a month ago and he did not ask for the signed promissory note, he just wanted to make sure that he had all my financial info (my parents and mine). He said that he would be in contact at a later date to discuss specifics. Hope this helps! :)

MexiGirl said:
Well I am going to live off campus. I am currently working at LLU SOM as a lab assistant. There are plenty of apt. complexes within walking distance to the campus (2-5 min). If you plan to live on campus there will be an additional required chapel service once a week..I think it is on Friday evening. All med students must attend a chapel service on Wed. mornings. When did you receive the housing and immunization packet...b/c I have only received the letter requesting my final transcript. I haven't heard or received any notification of the orientation...but will post any info I can find. I also look forward to meeting you!

:love: :love: :love:
I got my housing packet in late March, a couple weeks after I was accepted, and the immunization packet a couple weeks after that. The housing packet wasn't super helpful...they just sent an old Trading Post (the local trade paper), and some maps of Loma Linda and things around there. Maybe you could call and see, although the office has the strangest hours cause I can never get ahold of them.
As far as the Promissory Note, my financial aid page online said my status was incomplete until I signed it and sent it in. But I'm so confused about all that stuff. Maybe I shouldn't have. I'd listen to Mexi, cause I didn't actually call them to ask.

LLU's Trading Post is updated weekly, and its updated version can be downloaded as a pdf file at http://www.llu.edu/news/tp/

It can be really helpful in finding a place to live off-campus...whether private apt or roomate.

joe6102 said:
Usually there are 3 hours per day of lecture (sometimes 4 on Monday) which brings it to 16 hours each week. Then there are small group meetings, 1-2 hours long, once or twice a week, plus lots of labs in the afternoon. Every Friday you'll be done by noon at the latest, and you'll have maybe 1 other day that week where you're done by noon - the other days have labs (anatomy, histology, neuro, pdx, etc) from 1-3 or 3-5, or both.

Class and most labs are optional - all of the notes are given to you at the start of each term. You'll have 5 weeks of class, then a week of tests, and that continues all year.

Clinical experiences are 2 weeks on the wards to start of the year - mostly shadowing residents and attendings, then 4 more weeks of that in 2 other specialties at the end of the first year.

Thanks, this is helpful. Can you tell me more about the changes in the curriculum? It seems that they changed to a organs system approach a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard much about it. Since the new curriculum has only been in place two years, there aren't any representative board scores are there? Most schools seem to really emphasize updates in curriculum, but Loma Linda hasn't said much at all about it. Also, I have read that board scores decrease before they increase after implementing a curriculum change because they have to get the wrinkles out first. I'm not sure how long that takes, but two years doesn't seem that long.

Thanks again,
yi sheng

Well, it's not 2 years - this is the first year of the new curriculum, and it isn't over yet. So it's been in place for less than 1 year. It's still the same professors giving basically the same lectures, just in a different order.

As for board scores, what you put into it is what you get out of it. Loma Linda seems to teach to the boards, and we have a Dean/professor who used to write questions for the NBME.

When it comes down to it, I would pick a school based on the location, students, and atmosphere, not on curriculum (unless you have strong feelings for or against PBL). If you fit in well with the other students and feel comfortable, you are more likely to succede.

yi sheng said:
Thanks, this is helpful. Can you tell me more about the changes in the curriculum? It seems that they changed to a organs system approach a couple of years ago, but I haven't heard much about it. Since the new curriculum has only been in place two years, there aren't any representative board scores are there? Most schools seem to really emphasize updates in curriculum, but Loma Linda hasn't said much at all about it. Also, I have read that board scores decrease before they increase after implementing a curriculum change because they have to get the wrinkles out first. I'm not sure how long that takes, but two years doesn't seem that long.

Thanks again,
yi sheng

hey everyone! i'll be joining you all next year for sure! i'm really excited because LL is my top choice!

i'll be looking for a place off campus, and yea, got the immunizations packet, sent my transcripts, and just mailed off the financial aid stuff (i wish i did it earlier...)

i'm also wondering about the 'optional' orientation, anyone know what it entails?

I know when orientation starts, but does anyone know what classes actually starts?

They should send you a schedule eventually. This last year we started orientation Thursday Aug 4. Wards went from Aug 8 - 19 and first day of class was Aug. 22. Its not to late you guys can still pick something better like: Business School!

Any non-SDA's picking LLU over another school and reasons why?

thanks

jonnymd said:
They should send you a schedule eventually. This last year we started orientation Thursday Aug 4. Wards went from Aug 8 - 19 and first day of class was Aug. 22. Its not to late you guys can still pick something better like: Business School!

Yeah, business school sounds appealing. Actually, I think I should've been a business major in undergrad...

btw, thanks for the reply

yi sheng said:
Any non-SDA's picking LLU over another school and reasons why?

thanks

I am non-SDA and I need to decide really soon between NYMC and Loma Linda. I am leaning towards Loma Linda because of the location and I really liked the people I met. Granted, most of them were interviewees but if those are in any way representative of who they accept, it was a much better group. Also, I have family near by and I don't really want to leave the west coast. However I do have a couple questions...

1) Do you really have to go to another chapel session if you live on campus?
2) Why should curriculum not be a factor when choosing a school? I have not heard a lot about how well LLU students do in residency match or board scores, and no one has really tried even selling the school to me.

I never thought I would have to choose between schools and I am not really sure how one goes about it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Congratulations on the two acceptances! That sounds like a tough decision.

1. No, there is no extra chapel session for living on campus. Not for anyone I know anyway.

2. I don't think it makes much of a difference what order the curriculum is in. I think LLU teaches toward the boards moreso than other schools. We hear things all the time such as "this isn't really important clinically, but there's always a question on it on the boards." I don't know if that's good or not.
As for as matching goes, I can't help you much there. But I do know that most of the LLUMC residencies prefer LLU med students, or so it seems.

Good luck in your decision.

almondjoyMD said:
I am non-SDA and I need to decide really soon between NYMC and Loma Linda. I am leaning towards Loma Linda because of the location and I really liked the people I met. Granted, most of them were interviewees but if those are in any way representative of who they accept, it was a much better group. Also, I have family near by and I don't really want to leave the west coast. However I do have a couple questions...

1) Do you really have to go to another chapel session if you live on campus?
2) Why should curriculum not be a factor when choosing a school? I have not heard a lot about how well LLU students do in residency match or board scores, and no one has really tried even selling the school to me.

I never thought I would have to choose between schools and I am not really sure how one goes about it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone know when Loma Linda's whitecoat ceremony is? Is it still between the 2nd and 3rd year?

Hey everyone- I finally decided to attend Loma Linda in the fall. See you all soon!

SemperJeff said:
Anyone know when Loma Linda's whitecoat ceremony is? Is it still between the 2nd and 3rd year?
It's at the start of the first year, a few days before wards. Last year was the first year that they had ward experience for freshmen, so they started doing the ceremony for freshmen.

Well I'd say "extremely religious" is a relative term. Loma Linda is a Seventh-day Adventist institution, but that doesn't mean everyone there is SDA. There are many religions represented. They do however, expect their students to accept their standards regardless of personal beliefs. And for some, that requirement is extreme and they choose not to go there.

But Loma Linda doesn't try to force their religion and convert you.

JennSong said:
Is Loma Linda extremely religious? I know so many schools that are affiliated with a religion, but it doesn't really affect the people going there.

I'm not any religion...would I have any shot at LLU or would they just discriminate me right out of the pile? Or, if I did get in, do they shove a lot of religion stuff down your throat?

From looking at MSAR all their admissions requirements are a little lower, so I wanted to apply to it since I don't know what my MCAT will turn out as in August, and their average is 29.

What is up people!! Great to hear from so many of you!! I was wondering, do any of you feel that we need to have a laptop? I have been considering purchasing one and I was wondering what everyone else thought. Anybody else from Long Beach/North OC?

JennSong said:
Is Loma Linda extremely religious? I know so many schools that are affiliated with a religion, but it doesn't really affect the people going there.

I'm not any religion...would I have any shot at LLU or would they just discriminate me right out of the pile? Or, if I did get in, do they shove a lot of religion stuff down your throat?

From looking at MSAR all their admissions requirements are a little lower, so I wanted to apply to it since I don't know what my MCAT will turn out as in August, and their average is 29.
They want a letter of rec from a religious leader. I'm pretty sure everyone accepted is religious. You also have to go to a weekly chapel service. If you are not religious do not waste your time or theirs by applying.

newguy357 said:
They want a letter of rec from a religious leader. I'm pretty sure everyone accepted is religious. You also have to go to a weekly chapel service. If you are not religious do not waste your time or theirs by applying.

Um, I just got thorugh with the whole application process... did I just miss the whole clause that required this letter from a religious leader? I couldn't even figure out how many LLU wanted...

hey guys i'm an MSII (almost MSIII) at LLU. if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

didn't have time to read the whole thread, but in terms of white coat ceremony, we just had ours a few weeks ago (between 2nd and 3rd year), but w/ the new curriculum and "ward experience" starting freshmen year, i believe they are holding a white coat ceremony for freshmen at the beginning of the year. Not sure if they will have an additional ceremony after 2nd year, but i don't see the point of having 2.

as for everyone being religious...yeah pretty much all of my classmates are christian. we have religion class and required chapel. It is not uncommon for a professor to have a word of prayer before class starts or before an exam. May sound weird, but pretty normal for me now.

About 40% of the class is adventist.

From what I've seen, LLU is one of the (if not THE) only schools to actually live up to their motto as a religious institution looking to train christian physicians.

Good luck.

Does anyone know if LLU has a second look weekend? I haven't heard anything about it, but every other school seems to have one.

Hey everybody. . . I'll be starting at LLUMC this coming August and am in search of a roommate/roommates. I currently live in Long Beach, CA but will be moving out to Loma Linda in late July. I took a year off after getting accepted to travel/surf/work but am getting back into school mode these days. Anyways, I'm a non-SDA who is very active. I want to be off-campus in an apartment or house but hopefully within walking distance. I'm a clean person and like to keep my own room clean, but I don't really care if you enjoy trashing the house every now and then. Also, I'm a dude, so I guess I'm looking for male roommates. So let me know if you want a roommate. Looking forward to meeting everybody . . .

twintiger32 said:
hey guys i'm an MSII (almost MSIII) at LLU. if you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

didn't have time to read the whole thread, but in terms of white coat ceremony, we just had ours a few weeks ago (between 2nd and 3rd year), but w/ the new curriculum and "ward experience" starting freshmen year, i believe they are holding a white coat ceremony for freshmen at the beginning of the year. Not sure if they will have an additional ceremony after 2nd year, but i don't see the point of having 2.

as for everyone being religious...yeah pretty much all of my classmates are christian. we have religion class and required chapel. It is not uncommon for a professor to have a word of prayer before class starts or before an exam. May sound weird, but pretty normal for me now.

About 40% of the class is adventist.

From what I've seen, LLU is one of the (if not THE) only schools to actually live up to their motto as a religious institution looking to train christian physicians.

Good luck.

Hi how's it goin? Just wondering how I might go about finding a roommate before the school year starts. I didn't find the trading post to be all that helpful. Thanks!

Dieter Hertzog said:
Hey everybody. . . I'll be starting at LLUMC this coming August and am in search of a roommate/roommates. I currently live in Long Beach, CA but will be moving out to Loma Linda in late July. I took a year off after getting accepted to travel/surf/work but am getting back into school mode these days. Anyways, I'm a non-SDA who is very active. I want to be off-campus in an apartment or house but hopefully within walking distance. I'm a clean person and like to keep my own room clean, but I don't really care if you enjoy trashing the house every now and then. Also, I'm a dude, so I guess I'm looking for male roommates. So let me know if you want a roommate. Looking forward to meeting everybody . . .

Hey Dieter...I was initially looking for a one bedroom but would be willing to get a roommate if personalities/etc. are a good match. Rent for a 2 BR would definitely be nicer than getting a 1BR (I've had back luck living with strangers...)

Anyhow, i'll be back in Cali mid june, and I live near brea...hit me up via pm or something.

i've always wanted to learn how to surf...do you board? we're right at summit's/bear's foothills!

SemperJeff said:
Um, I just got thorugh with the whole application process... did I just miss the whole clause the required this letter from a religious leader? I couldn't even figure out how many LLU wanted...

I don't think it was necessary for Med School. I know my roomate was applying to Dental schools and didn't want to submit the LL secondary because they specifically wanted a letter from a religious leader...

but the secondary for Med School had a section for your religious background...but never required a LOR

Dr.Who? said:
Hey Dieter...I was initially looking for a one bedroom but would be willing to get a roommate if personalities/etc. are a good match. Rent for a 2 BR would definitely be nicer than getting a 1BR (I've had back luck living with strangers...)

Anyhow, i'll be back in Cali mid june, and I live near brea...hit me up via pm or something.

i've always wanted to learn how to surf...do you board? we're right at summit's/bear's foothills!

Hi Dr.Who. How's it going? Ya so we should get in touch somehow and possibly look at some places in/around Loma Linda. If we shared rent, I'm sure we could get a pretty nice place. I'm a pretty easy person to live with I think. I've never had any problems with previous roommates. I think I might go out there pretty soon and check out some places, and I'll let you know what I find. What's your real name? Are you SDA? Where'd you go to college? Anyways, let me know what's up. Oh ya, don't mind my hardcore German name. I don't have a weird accent or anything. And I do snowboard, so it'll definitely be really nice being so close to Bear/Summit/Mtn High.

Dieter Hertzog said:
Hi Dr.Who. How's it going? Ya so we should get in touch somehow and possibly look at some places in/around Loma Linda. If we shared rent, I'm sure we could get a pretty nice place. I'm a pretty easy person to live with I think. I've never had any problems with previous roommates. I think I might go out there pretty soon and check out some places, and I'll let you know what I find. What's your real name? Are you SDA? Where'd you go to college? Anyways, let me know what's up. Oh ya, don't mind my hardcore German name. I don't have a weird accent or anything. And I do snowboard, so it'll definitely be really nice being so close to Bear/Summit/Mtn High.

ok, now this is going to turn into a 'personals' ad...i guess i should just send you to my match.com profile. jk. i don't have one.

yea, i think it'd be cool to have roommates. I was also looking into rent a house, if everyone's easy going enough, or an apt. is cool too.
ok to avoid spilling out everything on the web, i'll send you a pm.

Anyone else looking for places to stay/roommates?

I just got my financial aid award letter, the cost of attendance is $53,000, yet the loans are only for $48,000. Did everyone end up like this? Does anyone know if it is going to be tough living on $9,800/yr? The housing looks expensive compared to where I am from.

yi sheng said:
I just got my financial aid award letter, the cost of attendance is $53,000, yet the loans are only for $48,000. Did everyone end up like this? Does anyone know if it is going to be tough living on $9,800/yr? The housing looks expensive compared to where I am from.

Let's hope its do-able... Where are you from?

SemperJeff said:
Let's hope its do-able... Where are you from?

I live in Fresno (central valley) right now.

yi sheng said:

I unded up like that as well. In those circumstances, you might want to consider a private loan. The financial aid office is really helpful so you might want to call them for their advice.

How much is tuition at LLU?