Loma Linda University

Started by rina33
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

rina33

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have a general impression of this program's reputation? I know that a few years ago they didn't have great pass rates on peds boards, but this was chalked up to a "party class" by the program director. I'd like to go there for location reasons (family nearby) but am a little concerned about reputation/quality of education for this reason. I'd like to do a neo fellowship after peds and want to be sure I'd be able to do this after residency at Loma Linda. I also want to have smart colleagues to work with during my residency. Anyone else interview there or have some info to share regarding your thoughts/experiences with Loma Linda?
 
actually, i am from SoCal and know many people who went through Loma Linda peds or are currently residents. I have heard GREAT~ things about the program! i heard it's great teaching, facility, and good for future opportunities. I have not heard anything truly negative about it. I am going to be interviewing there in a few weeks...will keep u posted!
 
actually, i am from SoCal and know many people who went through Loma Linda peds or are currently residents. I have heard GREAT~ things about the program! i heard it's great teaching, facility, and good for future opportunities. I have not heard anything truly negative about it. I am going to be interviewing there in a few weeks...will keep u posted!

I saw one post on SDN about Loma Linda and it said that the residents work really hard - harder than a lot of programs. I also know a student there who said the peds residents work really hard there. However, this is second-hand knowledge, so I'm not really sure what the true story is. I'll be interviewing there in a few weeks too so I'll post more if I learn anything. Maybe CookieCrisp knows a little more about this since he/she knows residents from there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I saw one post on SDN about Loma Linda and it said that the residents work really hard - harder than a lot of programs. I also know a student there who said the peds residents work really hard there. However, this is second-hand knowledge, so I'm not really sure what the true story is. I'll be interviewing there in a few weeks too so I'll post more if I learn anything. Maybe CookieCrisp knows a little more about this since he/she knows residents from there.

I'd LOVE to hear more about this working harder than everywhere else thing. I remember reading that, too, but when I talked to other people that interviewed there last year, they actually loved the place. It would be interesting to hear more about this....
 
Thanks for the info. I don't know how much they might "work harder" than elsewhere. Sounds like they usually have 4-5 admissions per night (more manageable than other programs) but I do know LL tends to be high volume. They also have night float in place so that residents don't take weekday call on the wards. They do weekend calls such that one weekend they work the entire weekend, two weekends they just do Fri night and Sunday day, then the last weekend is off. I think this is how it works, at least! Any other input?