Loma Linda vs. UCLA for General Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellow13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's coming down to a choice between LLU and UCLA. After 4 years, UCLA ends up being about 50K less than LLU. Keep in mind that I don't want to specialize. My ultimate goal is to have the best clinical experience I can get so I want to make my decision based on that. I'd rather not go through a GPR or AEGD. I appreciate any input. Please leave out the SDA bashing :) . Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

mellow13 said:
It's coming down to a choice between LLU and UCLA. After 4 years, UCLA ends up being about 50K less than LLU. Keep in mind that I don't want to specialize. My ultimate goal is to have the best clinical experience I can get so I want to make my decision based on that. I'd rather not go through a GPR or AEGD. I appreciate any input. Please leave out the SDA bashing :) . Thank you all in advance.

then go LLU... i believe they have one of the best clinicals in the nation

If I were you I'd scrap that plan and head to UOP. Out in 3 years. Can't beat that if you want to do the GP route. If that doesn't work for you I recommend going to the school that makes you feel the happiest. Dental school is a rough road. Sometimes you need every little bit of happiness to make it through. Clinical experience is what you make of it. Like I've said countless times before, we've got plenty of patients. The amount that you learn is dependent upon your ability to take charge of your own education and muster the initiative to learn independently. If you can't do that you'll wind up knowing the bare minimum regardless of how many fillings you do.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude go to UCLA... theres a reason its so hard to get in to and so competitive. Its one of the best schools in the nation and not just for specializing. Plus Westwood is much much nicer than San Bernardino. Not to mention 50 grand once you pay it back with interest is actually much more. What it comes down to is an excellent program for less dinero. No brainer... go with UCLA

stryder said:
dude go to UCLA... theres a reason its so hard to get in to and so competitive. Its one of the best schools in the nation and not just for specializing. Plus Westwood is much much nicer than San Bernardino. Not to mention 50 grand once you pay it back with interest is actually much more. What it comes down to is an excellent program for less dinero. No brainer... go with UCLA

I tend to agree... I am biased though. But to me, it wouldn't even be a question.

most of dentists told me that what you learn from dental school does not make too much difference because you often learned some old techniques that you dont use in the real world. What you learn after you start working is what matters. i agree westwood is alot nicer than san bernadino, but the life expense is higher too.

trust068 said:
most of dentists told me that what you learn from dental school does not make too much difference because you often learned some old techniques that you dont use in the real world. What you learn after you start working is what matters. i agree westwood is alot nicer than san bernadino, but the life expense is higher too.

I definitely agree living outweighs that 50 grand at LA. Its more expensive to live in LA than in San bernardino. If i were you i would buy a small house or a condo, instead of renting and just sell it when ur done after 4 years. That way youve not only saved 50k most likely made money out of it.

Hmmm...I'd go to UCLA simply for the 50k and prestige of UCLA.

UCLA as well. I have personally shadowed two great general dentists that have gone to UCLA.

Westwood/Santa Monica area is so much better then San Bern, more to do! Also, LLU makes you take religious classes for pass/fail and make you attend church on sunday and yo ucan't drink or smoke.....too many rules. Plus what are you going to do after you are done will all the exams, drink a diet pepsi? I need a school where you can celebrate the right way (with a keg stand)!

howui3 said:
I need a school where you can celebrate the right way (with a keg stand)!
Word brother... I would get kicked out of LLU probably... Im sorry, I like to drink when theres nothing else to do

teefRcool said:
I definitely agree living outweighs that 50 grand at LA. Its more expensive to live in LA than in San bernardino. If i were you i would buy a small house or a condo, instead of renting and just sell it when ur done after 4 years. That way youve not only saved 50k most likely made money out of it.

That's a really good point! I was apt. hunting in the westwood area and apts are so expensive! They're on average AT LEAST $1400/mo for a 1B/1B, not to mention that it's almost impossible to get an extra parking for a roommate. :thumbdown:

howui3 said:
UCLA as well. I have personally shadowed two great general dentists that have gone to UCLA.

Westwood/Santa Monica area is so much better then San Bern, more to do! Also, LLU makes you take religious classes for pass/fail and make you attend church on sunday and yo ucan't drink or smoke.....too many rules. Plus what are you going to do after you are done will all the exams, drink a diet pepsi? I need a school where you can celebrate the right way (with a keg stand)!

lol i was at LLU and they actually had coffiene free diet pepsi!!!

no caffeine? is it illegal? go to jail? yikes!! :confused: :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
mitosis said:
That's a really good point! I was apt. hunting in the westwood area and apts are so expensive! They're on average AT LEAST $1400/mo for a 1B/1B, not to mention that it's almost impossible to get an extra parking for a roommate. :thumbdown:

Have you looked at the University owned appartments?

They have them for single and married students, and they are much cheaper.

2bed/1bath (for married w/ or w/out kids at University Village) runs for about $1100/month. Check out how much it costs at Wayburn, I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper then private appartments in westwood.

howui3 said:
Have you looked at the University owned appartments?

They have them for single and married students, and they are much cheaper.

2bed/1bath (for married w/ or w/out kids at University Village) runs for about $1100/month. Check out how much it costs at Wayburn, I'm pretty sure it will be cheaper then private appartments in westwood.

Thanks, I did look before but they don't allow pets...

Do alot of people apply to Loma Linda since its a religious school?

I simply would try to avoid applying to it. How hard is it to get into? Do you need to be a SDA to get in?

gsrthomas said:

I simply would try to avoid applying to it. How hard is it to get into? Do you need to be a SDA to get in?

Not sure if it's mandatory but it's a factor. They have a bunch of rules like not eating meat on or off campus at certain times and stuff like that. If you're not an SDA, like me, that sort of thing is so alien and weird that a school would impose that stuff , I ruled out Loma Linda in 5 sec and never looked back.

howui3 said:

you can only drink CAFFIENE free diet pepsi

gsrthomas said:

Not sure how many apply compared to other socal schools. You do not need to be SDA to get in. I went to school there before and almost half the people in my class weren't SDA.

PDizzle said:
Not sure if it's mandatory but it's a factor. They have a bunch of rules like not eating meat on or off campus at certain times and stuff like that. If you're not an SDA, like me, that sort of thing is so alien and weird that a school would impose that stuff , I ruled out Loma Linda in 5 sec and never looked back.

The SDA thing is most likely a factor. Just like Cali state schools would rather have Cali residents, SDA schools most likely give extra points to SDAs. That being said, a great number to people who attend LLU are NOT SDA.

We need to kill this whole meat thing. The school has no rules about what you can eat or drink. I ate meat on campus everyday for 3 years, even in class. The school just doesn't SERVE the stuff, ever... doesn't matter what time of day or day of the week. They don't force you to serve their god nor do they force you to go to bed at 10pm. The only things they require of you is that you abstain from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol.

mitosis said:
Thanks, I did look before but they don't allow pets...

what kind of a pet do you have?

also look at the surrounding areas, westwood is very expensive because so many undergrad/grad students want to live there and the demand drives up the price.

look at santa monica, west la, brentwood.

I couldn't apply to either school. I have this cat....who is jewish, and he's an alcoholic. So, he'd probably embarrass me and get me kicked out of LL, and we couldn't live in UCLA student housing. Check and check.

Ronald Jeremy said:
I couldn't apply to either school. I have this cat....who is jewish, and he's an alcoholic. So, he'd probably embarrass me and get me kicked out of LL, and we couldn't live in UCLA student housing. Check and check.

have you circumcised the cat? and you should not be passing the Manushevitz to the cat on Purim - only you are supposed to get drunk!

:) :) :)

howui3 said:
have you circumcised the cat? and you should not be passing the Manushevitz to the cat on Purim - only you are supposed to get drunk!

:) :) :)
:laugh:
Yeah, I can see it now. I'd be in the clinic at LL, while my cat is at home getting wasted. Then he'll decide to go wander, looking for females, or, as he likes to say, "lookin' to shmutz in a shtickle of toucas". Then he'll like bust into the clinic and make a big scene and get me in trouble.

mellow13 said:
We need to kill this whole meat thing. The school has no rules about what you can eat or drink. I ate meat on campus everyday for 3 years, even in class. The school just doesn't SERVE the stuff, ever... doesn't matter what time of day or day of the week. They don't force you to serve their god nor do they force you to go to bed at 10pm. The only things they require of you is that you abstain from drugs, tobacco, and alcohol.

Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense now. I just couldn't see a school doing that! :)

mellow13 said:
The SDA thing is most likely a factor. Just like Cali state schools would rather have Cali residents, SDA schools most likely give extra points to SDAs. That being said, a great number to people who attend LLU are NOT SDA.

What % of the students still drink? Or does the religious preference of the school affect the non-religious students? The reason I ask is because I ended up not applying to Loma Linda because of the religious reasons and stuff like them not wanting you to drink (cuz I love beer). Since LLU is like an hour away from my parents house (palm springs) I always wonder if I could have ended up there

everything else aside, religious, location, etc., how can ppl say UCLA is better than LLU when specifically looking at clinical training; that is what the op is asking about, and from what i've heard UCLA may guarantee specialization, but there grads do not have enough clinical experience. Especially when comparing to LLU, which is known for being one of the best clinical schools in the nation.

vaio said:
everything else aside, religious, location, etc., how can ppl say UCLA is better than LLU when specifically looking at clinical training; that is what the op is asking about, and from what i've heard UCLA may guarantee specialization, but there grads do not have enough clinical experience. Especially when comparing to LLU, which is known for being one of the best clinical schools in the nation.

It's hard to believe your assumption that UCLA grads don't have enough clinical experience.

#1) ADA sets some rules and regulations for dental schools. Every student in any school must do a certain number of fillings etc etc to graduate. If a school can't provide enough patients to satisfy ADA requirements the school will be closed. I think Fairleigh Dickenson School of Dentisry in Teaneck, NJ was closed because it couldn't provide enough patients for students.

#2) UCLA doesn't have one dental clinic. The school has other clinics as well.
The off-campus clinical rotations that are an official part of the curriculum are at: Wilson-Jennings-Bloomfield Venice Dental Center and Harbor/UCLA Medical Center (Program Facts, 3rd paragraph: http://uclasod.dent.ucla.edu/admissions/index.asp?id=345). Other schools (e.g. UCSF) also make students do off-campus clinical rotations.

#3) It's unbelievable to think UCLA can't have enough patients for its students in Los Angeles which is the second most populated city in the country.

Lastly, any school is good for those who want to become just a regular dentist with bare minimum grades and requirements and with just passing board scores . Those who go to less prestigious dental schools may find it harder to get a job. UCLA is not great for everyone but it can open many doors for those who are a little ambitious.

howui3 said:
what kind of a pet do you have?

also look at the surrounding areas, westwood is very expensive because so many undergrad/grad students want to live there and the demand drives up the price.

look at santa monica, west la, brentwood.

Do you think that I can sneak my cat? I don't want to get kicked out if they find out. I'm also looking at possibly buying a condo near UCLA. I don't have much money obviously, but my parents have offered to help with the down payment. I don't know about the real estate market though, everything seems to be quick expensive. I did find a few condos nearby (culver city, santa monica) that are 1b/1b from the low to high $300,000's. With HOAs, that's probably about $2000 a month, which is only a few hundred bucks more than renting. What do you guys think?

mellow13 said:

When I called the school to get info on the school I was told that you ARE REQUIRED to take religion classes for pass/fail and you ARE REQUIRED to attend church on sunday.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm correct, then you are not really telling the whole truth when you try to dispell some of the LLU rumors.

mitosis said:
Do you think that I can sneak my cat? I don't want to get kicked out if they find out. I'm also looking at possibly buying a condo near UCLA. I don't have much money obviously, but my parents have offered to help with the down payment. I don't know about the real estate market though, everything seems to be quick expensive. I did find a few condos nearby (culver city, santa monica) that are 1b/1b from the low to high $300,000's. With HOAs, that's probably about $2000 a month, which is only a few hundred bucks more than renting. What do you guys think?

culver city is not such a bad idea. my wife's parents have a condo in a gated community there. but there are shady parts of culver city and ingelwood so make sure to check out the area. even ucla has some offcampus grad family housing in culver city on venice and overland.

if you do find a place in your budget it is defently worth buying in LA. Solid investment.

howui3 said:
culver city is not such a bad idea. my wife's parents have a condo in a gated community there. but there are shady parts of culver city and ingelwood so make sure to check out the area. even ucla has some offcampus grad family housing in culver city on venice and overland.

if you do find a place in your budget it is defently worth buying in LA. Solid investment.

are you guys from LA? cuz you have major traffic issues to deal with too, since i went to undergrad there and i can't imagine having to commute at ucla (unless you're taking sidestreets) if you have to take the 405 you might as well kill yourself now

superchris147 said:
are you guys from LA? cuz you have major traffic issues to deal with too, since i went to undergrad there and i can't imagine having to commute at ucla (unless you're taking sidestreets) if you have to take the 405 you might as well kill yourself now

very true the 405 is CRAZY!!! and only getting worse.

from santa monica, west la, culver city you can take side streets and avoid some traffic. but even then Wilshire Blvd is crazy in the evenings from Santa Monica to Westwood.

for ucla students that live in offcampus university appartments they have free shuttles that take you to and from campus. otherwise if you don't live within walking distance from the ucla dent school, you have to pay for parking which is also crazy expensive.

man.....LLU is starting to sound better and better..... :) :) :)

howui3 said:
very true the 405 is CRAZY!!! and only getting worse.

from santa monica, west la, culver city you can take side streets and avoid some traffic. but even then Wilshire Blvd is crazy in the evenings from Santa Monica to Westwood.

for ucla students that live in offcampus university appartments they have free shuttles that take you to and from campus. otherwise if you don't live within walking distance from the ucla dent school, you have to pay for parking which is also crazy expensive.

man.....LLU is starting to sound better and better..... :) :) :)

well i wasn't trying to down talk ucla cuz i love that place, but i don't think culver city is a good idea. sometimes you want to run to lab for like an hour or two, not to mention when you finish class you are done at either 3 or 5 (aka MAJOR TRAFFIC). personally to the OP i would just save the money and go to ucla which i think is the better school (if you want to argue the LLU is a better clinical school then fine, but save the money and just do an AEGD or a GPR with a stipend and you'll still come out on top financially). find the cheapest single type place the first year in westwood/brentwood, find a friend that first year and get a two bedroom apt somewhere in brentwood/westwood.

basically, i was just trying to prove the point that it can take you an hour to get from the dental school (in undergrad i worked in MSB or molecular sciences building which is right next to the dental school) to the 405 on ramp on wilshire, therefore culver city is a bad idea. btw, i visited ucla over my spring break to see some friends and weyburn terrace looks really nice. i know its pricey but you cannot go wrong with that place.

howui3 said:
When I called the school to get info on the school I was told that you ARE REQUIRED to take religion classes for pass/fail and you ARE REQUIRED to attend church on sunday.

correct me if I'm wrong, but if I'm correct, then you are not really telling the whole truth when you try to dispell some of the LLU rumors.

Sorry, in my other post, I was just addressing the food rumors. Be cool man, I'm not trying to be shady. ;) I'm not sure what goes down for D-school. But for PT school, we did have to take pass/fail religion classes. They more or less dealt with spiritual aspects in the clinical practice. The classes were not about the fundamentals of 7th day adventists, nor did they try to convert you to their religion. Personally, I could have done without the classes. If anything, they were helpful in promoting the holistic treatment of your patients, which I feel is mucho important.

They did require us to attend a "chapel service" on wednesdays. I usually used that time to cram or :sleep: . I don't know about that sunday thing. They never made us go to church on the weekend.

Hope this clears a few things up.

superchris147 said:
What % of the students still drink? Or does the religious preference of the school affect the non-religious students? The reason I ask is because I ended up not applying to Loma Linda because of the religious reasons and stuff like them not wanting you to drink (cuz I love beer). Since LLU is like an hour away from my parents house (palm springs) I always wonder if I could have ended up there

I'm not sure about percentages. There were a bunch of squares in my PT class but there were a lot of people who drank. Only a handful of us, however, were thet types to go to a bar and have a few. I don't think our class was a good example because the class before and after us were a fun bunch in that respect. It might not be so evident on campus, but get to know your classmates and you'll find they're just like everyone else; complete with its share of freaks and alcoholics.

PDizzle said:
Thanks for clearing that up. It makes more sense now. I just couldn't see a school doing that! :)

np bro