Loma Linda?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanageena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
any thoughts on Loma Linda's psychiatry residency?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was all set to rank it first until I got to the cafeteria -- no meat!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I had LL late, and I interviewed all over So Cal. After having heard from a number of residents stories about LL and having heard about the 7th Day Adventist "requirements", such as no meat, no sex before marriage, required chapel time, among others (may not apply to residents, but people I knew who had second apps from them for med school said they had to sign a contract; take that as you will), I decided against interviewing there.

Good luck.

Hey! I had LL late, and I interviewed all over So Cal. After having heard from a number of residents stories about LL and having heard about the 7th Day Adventist "requirements", such as no meat, no sex before marriage, required chapel time, among others (may not apply to residents, but people I knew who had second apps from them for med school said they had to sign a contract; take that as you will), I decided against interviewing there.

Good luck.

too bad you didn't interview. none of those 'requirements' factor into residency life at Loma Linda, in any way.

Residents I meet from Loma Linda seem well-prepared, intelligent, well-adjusted. And they get to moonlight at my workplace for good pay. And from where I live, I can get to LA, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach within an hour; or San Diego within 90 min., or Las Vegas in 4 hrs. All without having to deal with LA or Orange County traffic every day.

And from where I live, I can get to LA, Huntington Beach, Laguna Beach within an hour; or San Diego within 90 min., or Las Vegas in 4 hrs. All without having to deal with LA or Orange County traffic every day.
Except for those days you're trying to get out of the Coton/Redlands area...

too bad you didn't interview. none of those 'requirements' factor into residency life at Loma Linda, in any way.

I'm glad to hear residents don't have to agree to those stipulations. As it is, a place that does its best to make me not eat meat or drink coffee for reasons of religion is not for me.

As a warning about traffic, the 91, which is the freeway to much of LA and OC, has some of the worst traffic. Not sure where the above poster lives, but if you live close to LL, it will take you at least 90 min to get to the OC beaches if there's no traffic. Forget about it if there is. The toll roads are ok at most times of day, but then, they're toll roads. Once you learn traffic timing in the direction you want to go and if you're willing to pay tolls, you should be good. If you're a So Cal kid, apologies for telling you what you already know.

I'm glad to hear residents don't have to agree to those stipulations. As it is, a place that does its best to make me not eat meat or drink coffee for reasons of religion is not for me.

Ha! The program and hospital have very little to do with how much meat or coffee anyone consumes. Just avoid the main hospital's cafeteria, which I do for many other reasons. So, nobody's trying their best to make anybody do anything.

There are many reasons to come or not come to Loma Linda for any residency program - but LLU's religiosity really shouldn't be a factor, any more than Cedar-Sinai's.

Don't get me wrong, it's a valid question/concern. I wondered about the same thing, not being Adventist myself. Having been here, though.... not an issue.

Last edited:
I applied to med school there without having the slightest idea what 7 Day Adventist was all about. I got the secondary application, which asked me a number of odd questions, including something along the lines of, "Have you ever drank alcohol, and if so explain why below". I quickly tossed that application right out the window. Whether or not they push their beliefs on their residents would be irrelevant to me, because I personally wouldn't want to be in an environment that is that conservative/religious. Not saying that there is anything wrong with that, its just certainly not for me.

I was all set to rank it first until I got to the cafeteria -- no meat!

Seriously? Yeesh. I should have applied there. Since I live in the most vegan-friendly city in the country according to PETA, it was definitely frustrating finding anything to eat during my interview trips. And I'm not even actually a vegan, I'm just a vegetarian.

I applied to med school there without having the slightest idea what 7 Day Adventist was all about. I got the secondary application, which asked me a number of odd questions, including something along the lines of, "Have you ever drank alcohol, and if so explain why below". I quickly tossed that application right out the window. Whether or not they push their beliefs on their residents would be irrelevant to me, because I personally wouldn't want to be in an environment that is that conservative/religious. Not saying that there is anything wrong with that, its just certainly not for me.

I don't think 7th Day is that conservative, really. I have a married-into-the-family aunt who is 7th day and she is politically liberal, works in a plastic surgery office, and has probably had some herself. This is her second marriage, and she also most definitely uses birth control as in two marriages she only has one child. Also, the most "conservative" people in this country tend to eat meat and drink a lot (hello Texas!).

I don't think 7th Day is that conservative, really. I have a married-into-the-family aunt who is 7th day and she is politically liberal, works in a plastic surgery office, and has probably had some herself. This is her second marriage, and she also most definitely uses birth control as in two marriages she only has one child. Also, the most "conservative" people in this country tend to eat meat and drink a lot (hello Texas!).
Ditto this. I met and worked with some Amish back in the day and still found them to be more liberal than a lot of evangelical Christians I've come across.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was judging this based solely on the secondary med school application. If a med school asks you if you have ever drank alcohol or used tobacco and if so to explain yourself, well that's pretty conservative in my book. I'm sure like anything, people who follow the religion fall into a continuum.

Ha! The program and hospital have very little to do with how much meat or coffee anyone consumes. Just avoid the main hospital's cafeteria, which I do for many other reasons. So, nobody's trying their best to make anybody do anything.

There are many reasons to come or not come to Loma Linda for any residency program - but LLU's religiosity really shouldn't be a factor, any more than Cedar-Sinai's.

Don't get me wrong, it's a valid question/concern. I wondered about the same thing, not being Adventist myself. Having been here, though.... not an issue.

Eh, not going somewhere where the principles of the admin, who have the ultimate say on my job there, differ significantly from mine. Luckily, I'm good with kosher. ;)

Maybe she's not the strictest of adherents. The 7th Day folks I know are pretty strict. No caffeine, no sex before marriage, and I couldn't even grill their veggie/soy burgers where I had put meat.

Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference.

No caffeine, no sex before marriage, and I couldn't even grill their veggie/soy burgers where I had put meat.

I can't keep up with the slang these days.....

gosh, you guys are such haters. loma linda is great. the only problem that i had with it is the same thing the poster from portland said... not enough vegan food!!!! people often perceive this place as some "healthy haven" when in reality it's not really very different from anywhere else. it seems this is the overarching theme of this thread... so, uh, sorry for not adding anything. i will second, however, that it seemed (from my interview there) that they have great clinical training and prepare you well for a career in psychiatry.

It’s the secular humanists I hate. They locomote about aimlessly with a rudderless moral relativism that means one direction is good as another, with their smug “I am more secular than thou" attitude, endlessly quoting Oscar Wilde like he was some sort of deity. Toss pots the lot of them.

I can't keep up with the slang these days.....

Hur, hur. That was pretty good.

BTW, I consider myself a secular humanist, for lack of a better term, and I am not a moral relativist at all. This discussion could go on for years, but better via PM. However, to nip the sec hum discussion in the bud, as well as sum up my view of Loma Linda, please consider the wisdom of the following, as voiced by William Shatner:

"Now the
world don't mmmove.
To the
beat-of-just
one
stroke....

What might be right for you, may-not-be-right-for
some."

Too artsy an interpretation?

Reactions: 1 user
BTW, I consider myself a secular humanist, for lack of a better term, and I am not a moral relativist at all. This discussion could go on for years, but better via PM. However, to nip the sec hum discussion in the bud, as well as sum up my view of Loma Linda, please consider the wisdom of the following, as voiced by William Shatner:

"Now the
world don't mmmove.
To the
beat-of-just
one
stroke....

What might be right for you, may-not-be-right-for
some."

Too artsy an interpretation?

Love Shatner.

Again, Loma Linda's program has strengths and weakness. One of our weaknesses is NOT some oppressive/conservative/religious atmosphere. You miss out if you marginalize a program for a problem you think it might have.

I couldn't even grill their veggie/soy burgers where I had put meat.

As a normal, non-7th-day, non-religious vegetarian, I gotta say that it really grosses me out to think of little meat bits or meat juice on my veggie burgers. It's eating a CORPSE, for crissakes. Yuck. Think about how'd you'd feel if your food had bits of s**t on it (ok, that was the best anaology I could come up with on the fly). Veggie burgers should be cooked on a different area with different utensils . . . that's just a normal vegetarian thing, nothing special about 7th day adventists.

...living in Portland... ;) Come on now.

It is true that PETA ranks us the best city in the country for vegetarians. I am truly spoiled. It's going to be very difficult to move.

Neusci

At least one person got me then....
Star_Trek_-_Original_Series_-_Command_Insignia-logo-215DB7F38D-seeklogo.com.gif
humanist.jpg

Re: Shatner: the similarity between the Star Trek insignia and the Happy Man Humanist symbol, coincidence? A real Trek fan would know if it was intentional but that is not me.

Fermata

Trust me I was joking and poking fun at people who deride religion. I have a reflex to support the underdog. Stalin was an atheist and the usual example that gets trotted out. He killed 20 million people based on the idea that a new scientific high tech man was the answer to humanities endless conundrum.

I don't know where to start with that link. Suffice to say I think he has a deeply flawed point of view. Jacob Bronowski died of a tortured soul thinking about science knowledge and God. A contemporary of Crick at the Saulk Institute you won't find a better exposition than the link below.

He addresses the question about 2min in. They are in my opinion some of the best moments on television ever. The second makes excellent viewing as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlDumTPyn00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2p9By0qXms

Last edited:
And to own a fixie.

as an avid driver AND biker in an urban area, I hate fixies and fixie riders with a passion. If you're going to take up the entire lane, learn to farking shift! (or at least build some muscle with that vegan diet of yours so that you can accelerate out of an intersection.)

and as for Loma Linda, just remember that they should have some open positions by the end of may in case you don't match.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/LIVING/03/06/judgment.day.caravan/index.html?hpt=C1

A late bump to see if anyone has any input regarding this program. Interested in the area since the wife's family lives in the "inland empire." Just looking to see if it's a quality program that produce solid clinicians, work-life balance, moonlighting potential, therapy, etc.

I interviewed here, didn't rank it high.

The main thing for me was the work-life balance. They seemed to work very hard at this program. The residents didn't try to hide this fact--most of them said "you get used to it," "the six weeks of night float in PGY2 [I believe] can be awesome since you have lots of autonomy," "covering 3 hospitals for admits is not bad since they're all on the same street and they are at most 10-15 minutes away end to end," things like that. They seemed to adapt to it well and seemed to be a well-knit group of residents.

all the people that interviewed me were very friendly and definitely left a good impression on me. In fact, I would say the Loma Linda residents were some of the coolest people I met on my interview trail. But this place wasn't a good fit for me in the end.