Loma Linda Psychiatry Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Firebaugh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody heard from LLU Psych after they interviewed there? (post-interview feedback) I ranked it high and hope to match.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there and heard nothing back. The secretary told me that PD was too busy.
I also ranked it high because of what they believe in.:)
Good luck and I wish you the best.:thumbup:

How religious is Loma Linda? I seem to recall that their med school was one of the few medical schools still actively affiliated with a denomination. Does this religious affiliation play a big role in life at LL? As in, would the hellbound feel welcome there?

A seventh day adventist came to my school to lecture about good nutrition and she said that people in Loma Linda have a really long lifespan, but the big joke is that it just feels really long because you aren't allowed to have any fun.

I lived in San Diego as a kid and the joke back then was:

Q: What's the fastest animal in the animal kingdom?
A: A baboon on a bicycle riding past Loma Linda hospital.

Anyone else remember that? (It had something to do with a baboon heart transplant done a LLU).

Well, I go to Loma Linda and I have heard back (being on a rotation with the program director last week helped this out a bit). Apparently they like me and I have a good chance. Which is nice to know and very relieving. Staying here is high on my list.
As for the religious feel of Loma Linda, the most impact it will have on you is through the crappy vegitarian cafeteria. There is a overall religious feel and bent to everything, but not overwhelmingly so. There are a good number of hellbound residents and faculty around who seem pretty happy with things here. Honestly, the only thing that I have reservations about is the call. Not too often, but the residents make it sound pretty bad. You are basically covering all of the hospitals in the area and so you drive around all night and see tons of patients. I am dreading this if I end up here.

I had multiple residents WARN me- about their call- no sleep is the rule not the exception and you are expected to work the entire next day since you were technically on "home call." That seems totally unethical. I did rank the program but call made me drop it half way down my list.

I did hear from the PD but I think it was only because I sent a thank you email rather than in the post. Its easy for them to just hit reply and then type 2 sentences so I dont think it means much.

Thanks for everybody's input. There was one resident there, PGY2 that is legally blind. I wonder what he'd say about the driving during his call nights. Anyway, goodluck to all and have a great weekend.;)

Thanks for everybody's input. There was one resident there, PGY2 that is legally blind. I wonder what he'd say about the driving during his call nights. Anyway, goodluck to all and have a great weekend.;)

i saw him as well. his seeing eye dog is well liked and is said to be the class mascot. i feel loma linda is one of those programs that is for you or is not. i think the PD is great.

The PD is fantastic- the kind of woman who would go to bat for you. Same with the new couple running USC.