London, Engand vs. Big Rapids, MI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunkyb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

I was wondering if I could get some advice about which school I should choose:

I got accepted unconditionally to a pharmacy school in London, England for an M.Pharm degree and a conditional acceptance to Ferris State U for the PharmD. degree. As a person who plans to practice in either Canada or the USA, I think I should choose Ferris, but what the heck is there to do is Big Rapids????
Multi-ethnic, global metropolitan epicenter of the vs. homogenous camping vacation site (pop. 12,000)????????

Also too, I am 26 years old; Judging from what I know about Ferris, it's primarily an undergrad institution----I am a little concerned about being in an environment with a bunch of young beer-drinking frat-kids. Is my perception of FSU completely wrong?

Members don't see this ad.

Why london? did you graduate from a london university? In london, pharmacist make $30,000 a year, I think.

Phar,

I am a North American uni grad but I applied to London as back up, in case I didn't get accepted here. I know that it'll probably be a nuisance with getting licensed in the states and canada.
While waiting impatiently and stressed about admission replies, I was getting comfortable with the idea of being in London next year---until I received my accepetance from FSU; now I am torn.
I think that life-wise and culturally speaking---London is a better bet.
Financially and time-considerations considered, thumbs up for Ferris.
I just want to make sure the Ferris is a decent place to live. I am a big city girl and I am afraid that living in MI will bore me to tears.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in big rapids right now, and I can't wait to leave. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the program, even though I was waitlisted and I'm going to Midwestern in Chicago for pharmacy school (maybe you should apply there, or to UIC, they are in big cities :) ). Let me know... (I'm 22 and even I feel old here!)

Jd

Chunkyb,

Yeah, I don't think you want to get anything less than a pharmd at this point. People are gonna be asking you way too many questions when you're on the job search. Plus, the pharm manager i work with in retail is adamant that anything less than a pharmd will not prepare you for the field because it's become so complicated as far as the medications and counseling patients regarding them.

Your years in Michigan will go by fast. You'll be busy, and you'll have all of the other students from the pharm school both above and below your own class. Plus I don't know how tuition would work in London, but I'm thinking ferris st would save you a grip of money.

Originally posted by jdpharmd?
I'm in big rapids right now, and I can't wait to leave. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the program, even though I was waitlisted and I'm going to Midwestern in Chicago for pharmacy school (maybe you should apply there, or to UIC, they are in big cities :) ). Let me know... (I'm 22 and even I feel old here!)

Jd

Hi jdpharmd?
How is Big Rapids? Have you been to Ferris State University? Is it quiet, big or small? Any advices for those who are going there next semester?? Thanks :p

Clachan3

Originally posted by clachan3
Hi jdpharmd?
How is Big Rapids? Have you been to Ferris State University? Is it quiet, big or small? Any advices for those who are going there next semester?? Thanks :p

Clachan3

I've lived in Michigan for most of my life. I had a few years in CT and one in central Cali. I'm at Ferris State as we speak, and I can't wait to finish class and head to pharmacy school in Downers Grove, IL. Ferris is small/medium (about 11,000 undergrad I think) but the problem is that there are virtually no graduate programs and several two-year degree programs. That equates to a fairly young student body and a very small pharmacy class. Only the first two years of the professional program are done in Big Rapdis (here), then you have to move to either kalamazoo, MI or Grand Rapids, MI which are both MUCH better than here, then it's off to your clinicals from there. So really you only spend 2 years in Big Rapids. The "city" is tiny and if you need anything you pretty much have to drive to Grand Rapids (about 45 mins to an hour). Since only the first two years of the pharmacy school are on campus, you only have about 250 pharmacy students within 50 miles. It's certainly different than my undergrad (at Michigan State, 44,000 students) and I personally don't like it.
For instance if you meet someone in the pharmacy class one year ahead of you (your first year) then you will basically never see them again after that year because they move 1 to 2 hours away their third year (usually). So then you're stuck with your own class as your peers (size of the 2003-4 class is 130 students). Most are from around this area or michigan, but this year Ferris seemed to accept a lot of out of state students for some reason ($$$?). I think that it's doable for 2 years (or 1.5 if you accelerate) and you do stay quite busy with school. I took pharmacy biochem last semester to better prepare for next year and it was a killer. It was 5 semester credits with no lab, and I think the courseload for P1's was 17 or 18 credits per semester (I was an undergrad with 17). The majority of the students here are not here for the pharmacy school or the optometry school (the only one in MI and it has a class size of 32!) they are here for dental hygene, welding technology, etc. You won't die from it, but you'll be glad to be done. It's also hard to find a job during school becuase the area is so sparse and there are 250 students looking to work in a pharmacy. The most work that I could find was 1 day every 2 weeks and that's 30 miles away. The winters are cold, and I can remember specific days and nights when we hit 15 below zero. I don't think that there was a single day this winter that we didn't have snow on the ground, and I would guess that we had a pretty consistant 12 inches on the ground at just about all times. The perks are that the cost of living is cheap, we just got high speed internet and digital cable and it's a short and easy drive (or walk) to campus from just about anywhere. I applied here, but after living here for a year (and getting waitlisted) I can't imagine another 2. I don't know how some of my older friends did it. I don't mean to make it sound like it's hell here because yesterday it was 82 degrees and it's 79 right now, but it's supposed to rain/freezing rain mix from Weds night until like Monday so go figure... I'd be happy to answer any specific questions regarding where to live, curriculum, good/bad profs (not that you have a choice) etc. Let me know..

Jd

hey..i got accepted to fsu too.

can you tell me about some apartments to get..you know, where all teh pahrmd's hang out in.

Geez. Jdpharmd. that sounds bleak as all he$%, and I complain about san francisco.

u musta been trying hard :p bc to get in anywhere this year takes a good applicant! great job- don't worry about the city too much- 2 yrs in the whole scheme of ur life is nothing esp when ur really busy studying. do well in ur classes study ahead for ur boards and u'll get to go virtually anywhere u want. pharmacists are in high demand/need across the whole country. so congrats again!:clap: :clap: :clap:

hey go to fsu over teh london school. what is the deal with the MA in pharmacy...are you telling me that you could come back to practice pharmacy here in the U.S. with that?

Originally posted by tryinghard
hey..i got accepted to fsu too.

can you tell me about some apartments to get..you know, where all teh pahrmd's hang out in.

Way to go, tryinghard!!!

thanx. :) I 'm still waiting for other schools, though. i really hate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanx. :) I 'm still waiting for other schools, though. i really hate it.

Tell me about the waiting process!!!! i can't even study for the rest of my exams because I keep thinking about it; My first choice of School is in Buffalo New York, since it's so close to home for me and it's a state school with a really good rep. I am still waiting to hear back from them. Apparently the school has sent some letters out already but I didn't receive anything; I wonder if they send out rejections, waiting lists, and acceptances all together or in different batches.

I only applied to 4 schools; MCP in Boston hasn't even acknowledged receipt of my application----and when I did call their office to make sure that they had everything they needed, they were really really rude. Even with all my transcripts provided to them, my application was left sitting in a file for months before they could tell me that I was missing a Finanacial Letter that was req'd, before they would even look at my file. I've heard that for Bostonians, rudeness is their trademark. Even the Boston exports in Canada are serious jerks. Anyhow, I wrote off Boston as a potential school. Even though things look bleak in BR, I think that I would rather go to BR than to Bastards, MA. But I'm still waiting.........

I only applied to 4 schools; MCP in Boston hasn't even acknowledged receipt of my application----

hey chunkyb

is that MCPHS in boston? did you also apply to their 3 year acceleterated program in worcester (?)?

congrats on your other acceptances!!;)

Originally posted by keiki
hey chunkyb

is that MCPHS in boston? did you also apply to their 3 year acceleterated program in worcester (?)?

congrats on your other acceptances!!;)

Hey Keiki,

I applied to the Boston campus and not the the Worcester. I talked to the Worcester admissions people and found them to be very pleasant and helpful. I didin't apply there b/c they wanted more pre-requisites than I was willing to do. I sent in my app to Boston in February and have not even received an acknowledgement. I was thinking that I should write to their admissions director and complain---maybe get a refund on my $70 application fee for thier incompetence.
Anyhow, I was just shocked with Boston's attitude----it's not like they're Harvard! :rolleyes:

Did you apply to Boston too? I hope at least, that your experience was better than mine. Good luck with everything.:)

hey...i also got into worcester..waht do you think is better fsu or worcester

congrats tryinghard- u are hitting it BIG- btw- if u don't mind... what were ur overall and prepharm gpa's? pcat scores? experience? thx! also can u post ur pers stmt?:love:

Bostonians, rudeness is their trademark. Even the Boston exports in Canada are serious jerks.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAAHAH

As far as housing goes at FSU, I would recommend my current landlord (Rick Lyons @ Tetzlaff Rentals 231-796-3069). He's nice and has quite a few properties. Around here the style seems to be houses that have been converted into apartments rather than apartment complexes, but he has both. He also is trying to build a new complex by the fall of next year. Ask about Rivertown apts (that's where is office is and they are very nice) or about any that he would recomend. I was in a bind last year and he found me an apartment without me ever seeing it in late July. I'm very happy with what he picked out and he doesn't seem to mind a late rent check here and there, which is always nice. Problems have been few and fixed quickly and he's only been in my apt maybe twice the entire year and he called several hours befrore hand both times. I would say stay away from Hillcrest (known here as ghettocrest) or anything else that's not within about 4 blocks of campus (yes, it's that small). Pharm students can all drive to class (it's all one building pretty much) so you could live 20 mins away and be fine, but why? I would also stay away from Harry's Rentals. I know friends that were fined for having beer cans in their back yard at 6am on a Saturday (left over from the night before). The fine was over $200. I haven't heard much about Chapman housing, and they have a website with the houses and area map, but I can't remember the address. Try a search for "chapman housing and big rapids, MI). Good luck! Expect to pay 300-450/month for a one bedroom apt, and about 500-800 (total) for a 2 bedroom. Happy hunting. There isn't really any one complex that tends to have more pharmacy students than others, but everything is very close so it won't be a problem.

Jd

hey...i also got into worcester..waht do you think is better fsu or worcester

Tryinghard,

Worcester looks like a great new school with very 'state-of- the- art' labs and stuff; Because its part of MCP, I think it has a good rep. and also a lot of money. Also, its accelerated program is 3 years instead of 3.5 at Ferris. The only thing though is that tuition is expensive, so I guess you pay for what you get.

I think that you should visit both campuses before making your final decision. Talk to the staff and to the students already in the program to get a feel for the school facilities, city, other students, and all that other stufff- it is afterall, at least 3 whole years of your life you'll be spending. I guess after checking the places out, you can probably decide which school is better for you personally.

Conrats into getting in at Worcester.
:clap:

JdPharm,

You are fantastic! Thanks for all the advice and info about Big Rapids. :clap:

i have two more questions :
1. What are the FSU student aparements on campus like? I signed up for one at the housing office, but I'm not too sure if I'll get one. Is finding housing in and off campus hard?
2. This is a weird question but---- I was thinking of maybe bringing my dog with me, but I'm thinking that this would be a problem with finding accomodation that allows pets; I think it would be kind of lonely for him too, being by himself for most of the day alone. Have you heard of any 'pet-friendly' places or dog sitters/walkers in BR? Just curious.I'll miss my dog.

Originally posted by chunkyb
JdPharm,

You are fantastic! Thanks for all the advice and info about Big Rapids. :clap:

i have two more questions :
1. What are the FSU student aparements on campus like? I signed up for one at the housing office, but I'm not too sure if I'll get one. Is finding housing in and off campus hard?
2. This is a weird question but---- I was thinking of maybe bringing my dog with me, but I'm thinking that this would be a problem with finding accomodation that allows pets; I think it would be kind of lonely for him too, being by himself for most of the day alone. Have you heard of any 'pet-friendly' places or dog sitters/walkers in BR? Just curious.I'll miss my dog.

I think that the on-campus housing is nice, especially the married or family housing, but I think that it's fairly expensive in comparison to the other apts in the area and I THINK that it's fairly hard to get into. I've been to a few, and the ones that I went to were all brand new with new fixtures, 2 upstairs bedrooms, a basement, etc. They were more like townhouses than apts really. I can't be sure which is which though becuase I've only been here a year and I've never lived on campus (I went into one of the dorms for the first time on Friday).

There are several people here with dogs but I don't know who they rent from! I see dogs all the time, they are usually at the houses or the apartment/houses but my landlord does NOT like pets and I don't think he'll let them in any of his places. There are several small-time landlords around, and I'm guessing that is where most of the dogs are. It's not like they are small dogs either! Most are labs or large shepard-type muts.

Jd

Oh, by the way.. regarding the weather here. It was sunny and over 82 degrees on the 15th (April), and right now (17th of April) it's 34 degrees and pouring rain, with rain forcast for the next six days. You never know what you're in for.. keeps life interesting. :D

Jd

Oh, by the way.. regarding the weather here. It was sunny and over 82 degrees on the 15th (April), and right now (17th of April) it's 34 degrees and pouring rain, with rain forcast for the next six days. You never know what you're in for.. keeps life interesting. :D

Jd

Hi jdpharmd?
Thanks for telling us all about Big Rapids! :D Actually the weather is my major concern :scared: I'm a summer person :cool: Anyway, it's okay as long as I get my pharmacy education :laugh: Do you know anything about the accelerated program at FSU? You've mentioned that the class size is 130, so are the 130 students going to be divided into 2 groups (3.5-year and 4-year) then??

Hi jdpharmd?
Thanks for telling us all about Big Rapids! :D Actually the weather is my major concern :scared: I'm a summer person :cool: Anyway, it's okay as long as I get my pharmacy education :laugh: Do you know anything about the accelerated program at FSU? You've mentioned that the class size is 130, so are the 130 students going to be divided into 2 groups (3.5-year and 4-year) then??

Yup, the accelerated program starts the first summer so the freshman class will be 130 and then it pretty much gets split in half. Those who chose to accelerate go their first summer and then the first semester of their second year here, then they go to the satelite locations (Grand Rapids, or Kalamazoo) for the next semester. It can be tricky to organize your lease with that schedule, but most seem to manage. The people who I know that chose to accelerate are very happy that they did so and they say that their class is more of a cohesive unit because of their circumstances. It also seems to get MUCH easier once you go off campus so they are happy to finally get a bit of a "break". Of course the students who don't chose to accelerate are also happy with their choice, so to each his/her own. The accelerated program graduates 9 months ahead of the regular class I think, but I can't be sure.

Jd (45 degrees and rainy at midnight)
:D

Hi jdpharmd?
:confused: Is there any other internship (hours) requirement for pharmacy students in Michigan in addition to the rotations that we do as part of our pharm.d curriculum? For those who graduate 9 months early, are they also class 2007 just like those who graduate later? What do the early graduates usually do after their graduations? Thank you :laugh:

Hi jdpharmd?
:confused: Is there any other internship (hours) requirement for pharmacy students in Michigan in addition to the rotations that we do as part of our pharm.d curriculum? For those who graduate 9 months early, are they also class 2007 just like those who graduate later? What do the early graduates usually do after their graduations? Thank you :laugh:

As far as I know the PharmD program provides all necessary internship hours (six six-week rotations, I think) for licensure. I'm pretty sure that the accelerated grads are still "class of 2007" although I would guess that they would make it out in 2006 if all went well (May -9 months). They are still in the composite photo as "class of 2007" and really, they are. As far as what they do goes.. they do anything they want. Here you can take the board exams anytime that you want (after you graduate), so you could be licensed and at work 2 weeks after graduation if you wanted.

Jd

The people who I know that chose to accelerate are very happy that they did so and they say that their class is more of a cohesive unit because of their circumstances. It also seems to get MUCH easier once you go off campus so they are happy to finally get a bit of a "break".

Hey Jdpharmd!

1.) The accelerated option sounds very tempting, although missing my summers for 3 years sounds daunting. Do you know if there is any "break" at all for the accelerated people (like 2 weeks or something)? Have you heard of any people who started the accelerated option and then decided to take their time in their second and third years?
2.) So, you're going to go to Midwestern for sure? I looked on the FSU COP website and noticed the waitlist number is at 146. I was just curious about how that waitlist thing works with FSU. Do they tell you your number and then contact you when they reach your number? So far, I have no waitlists, only one conditional acceptance and one rejection (from Albany).

Thanks again for all your help.

:)

Hey Jdpharmd!

1.) The accelerated option sounds very tempting, although missing my summers for 3 years sounds daunting. Do you know if there is any "break" at all for the accelerated people (like 2 weeks or something)? Have you heard of any people who started the accelerated option and then decided to take their time in their second and third years?
2.) So, you're going to go to Midwestern for sure? I looked on the FSU COP website and noticed the waitlist number is at 146. I was just curious about how that waitlist thing works with FSU. Do they tell you your number and then contact you when they reach your number? So far, I have no waitlists, only one conditional acceptance and one rejection (from Albany).

Thanks again for all your help.
:)

I think that you only go to school for one or two summers for the accelerated option. In fact, it might just be your first summer only, so yes, you would get a break. I know someone who is in the accelerated program here. She is in her 2nd summer and she is off to do a paid internship in AZ. I don't think that you get much of a break between spring (we call it winter) semester and summer your first year, but our Christmas break is like 4 or 5 weeks and you would get that and all of the other usual breaks off. It's a tough first year and a half, but after that it's pretty fun (or so I've heard).

Yup, I'll be at Midwestern next year, and we're done with exams next week here. I'm going to go find a new apartment and job in about two weeks, and I'm excited to live in a bigger city. As far as the waitlist goes, yes they just run your info (GPA and PCAT really) through a computer program and it spits out a number. 146 is nothing, considering that they admitted 130, meaning they are only sixteen deep so far. It should jump a little towards the middle/end of may because I think that's when the deposits are actually due, and it's also when winter grades would be available (ie. "oops, I failed orgo 2" would probably not go over very well with the ad com) I would expect them to hit about 170 or 180 by the time that classes start. I think that's about what they hit last year. The strange thing is that people who were like #175 last year (and almost got in) are in the #200 and #300 range this year (and have no chance of getting in). There has never been a year that I know of that they've gotten over #200

Jd

Oh by the way, if anyone is on the wait-list for Ferris State, the COP page has the numbers and seems to be updated about once a week or so. Here's the address. I didn't even know that it existed and I'm an undergrad student here AND on their pharm waitlist. Don't expect it to get over #200, and expect a LOT of people to drop at the last possible second (ie the first week of class in august/september)

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/colleges/pharmacy/

They're up to #148. The class size is 130.

Jd

Don't expect it to get over #200, and expect a LOT of people to drop at the last possible second (ie the first week of class in august/september)

Jd,
Why do you think that all these people drop off the admissions list so suddenly close to the beginning of school? Does it have to do with the pre-reqs not being fulfilled by the summer? I have another class to do before September, but this class ends at the very end of August. Somehow, I feel as though this summer will be the most stressful summer for me ever! I get panic attacks everytime I think about not completing this awful stats course I still have to take.

Jd,
Why do you think that all these people drop off the admissions list so suddenly close to the beginning of school? Does it have to do with the pre-reqs not being fulfilled by the summer? I have another class to do before September, but this class ends at the very end of August. Somehow, I feel as though this summer will be the most stressful summer for me ever! I get panic attacks everytime I think about not completing this awful stats course I still have to take.

Yes, I think that it has to do with people not completing the pre-reqs. But, it also has to do with students being accepted to other schools and maintaining Ferris as a backup. (technically it's the easiest pharmacy school to get into in the state after Wayne State University and University of Michigan, which each have class sizes of about 60 students) If they are accepted to more than one program (or accepted from a waitlist) they might have already submitted a deposit to Ferris. If the refund date had passed, then they would really have no reason to tell Ferris that they were going elsewhere (since they wouldn't get thier deposit back) and the Ferris wouldn't find out until orientation when the student didn't show up. Then the mad waitlist-calling begins. This happens at just about all schools. I know a student here who was called by the University of Michigan the first week of class, while he was IN CLASS at Ferris. He chose to stay here. I would also expect a jump in the waitlist at the end of this semester (this week, but it probably won't be posted for 2 or 3)for any prospective students who fail pre-reqs, but considering that the ave. gpa for next year is something like a 3.6, I don't really expect too many people to fail any classes. If the only class that you have left to take is stats, you should be fine. Ferris only requires algebra based stats, and it's no big deal at most schools. If you've been through orgo and calc, you should have no trouble with stats. As far as panic attacks go, I would try some benzos...(Clonazepam 1mg, 1 tab po q 8 hours?) :D

Good luck!

Jd

Ferris only requires algebra based stats, and it's no big deal at most schools. If you've been through orgo and calc, you should have no trouble with stats.

Hey Jd,
I feel kind of shafted because I took Stats I at my school already. This 3 semester course covered all that probability stuff, normality, linear regression, t-tests, and f-tests, etc. I think that it is comparable to the required stats course offerred by Ferris and I thought that this course itself would suffice. Unfortunately, I was told that I need to complete Stats II which is much more advanced than what I think is required by Ferris (ie. Poisson Distribution, Multiple Variate linear regressions, etc.) I think that some people from my university were accepted into FSU COP before, and the admissions staff has seen that all of these people have taken both courses (only because both courses are required to go towards their degrees in the medical sciences---in preparation for doctoral degrees in research!). So, the admissions staff now thinks that Parts I and II of stats are equal to one semester of their algebra-based stats. This means that while most people take only one semester of stats, I have to take an entire year of it! I can't see its relevance to pharmacy at all. Btw, Minitab sucks.

Chunk

Hey Jd,
I feel kind of shafted because I took Stats I at my school already. This 3 semester course covered all that probability stuff, normality, linear regression, t-tests, and f-tests, etc. I think that it is comparable to the required stats course offerred by Ferris and I thought that this course itself would suffice. Unfortunately, I was told that I need to complete Stats II which is much more advanced than what I think is required by Ferris (ie. Poisson Distribution, Multiple Variate linear regressions, etc.) I think that some people from my university were accepted into FSU COP before, and the admissions staff has seen that all of these people have taken both courses (only because both courses are required to go towards their degrees in the medical sciences---in preparation for doctoral degrees in research!). So, the admissions staff now thinks that Parts I and II of stats are equal to one semester of their algebra-based stats. This means that while most people take only one semester of stats, I have to take an entire year of it! I can't see its relevance to pharmacy at all. Btw, Minitab sucks.

Chunk

I would call and argue the course that you alredy took. All they want is a 3 credit alg-based stats course. I took a 200 level and they accepted it. Find a course description in your course catalog or fax them a syllabus. Maybe you can get out of taking that stats class after all. The course that I took was exactly what you described (minitab, t-values, probability, etc). Call them today ((231)591-3780) and ask for Andrea, then Dr. Rod Larson. You shouldn't have to take any more stats. The relevance of stats is that its useful when evaluating drug literature I think. That's about it. Many schools don't require it. By the way, minitab is available online for a free 30-day trial (that can be "extendend" for free) if your course makes you use/buy it. I did all of my labs at home. :)

Good luck

Jd

I would call and argue the course that you alredy took. All they want is a 3 credit alg-based stats course.

Despite my efforts, it's a "no-can-do". I guess that's life.

I just got a package in the mail from FSU that includes a list of a few housing opportunities.
Your recommendation was not listed on the list. In case Rick Lyons can't accomodate me at one of his units, I might have to consider other options. What do you think of these places?

Creeks Edge Apts. (20151 Dilbert Rd.)
Parklane Apts. (521 Fuller)
Rapids Apts. (318 Morrison St.)

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

-chunky

Creeks Edge Apts. (20151 Dilbert Rd.)
Parklane Apts. (521 Fuller)
Rapids Apts. (318 Morrison St.)

I am familiar with most of these, but I always get them confused. You'd think we lived on the banks of the Ohio river the way that they name things up here (everything is water, creek, rapids, etc.. but I don't even know where a creek is!). I'll get them figured out and get back to you. They are all VERY close (walking distance) to the pharmacy building. I think that I know someone who lived in the Rapids this year, and it was THE place to party, which is not always good for pharmacy students. They block off the entrance on the weekends, and you have to prove that you live there to even get in the parking lot with a car.

Jd

Hey Jd,

That was a funny meeting! Sorry for waking you up like that! It seems like a great set-up you have going there.
I decided to go for a bedroom apt. in the cute little pink house across the street from you. My mother insisted I live there, since the landlord lives right next door at the corner. I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad one to live so close to your landlord, but my mother was convinced that she could "look out" for me; she's pretty concerned about me living in the USA all by myself. (Btw, is that bank that supplies shotguns to people who open new accounts in Big Rapids?----very scarey)
My landlord owns the cafe' downtown (er...down the street) called "Peggy's Memory Lane Cafe'. She seemed pretty nice and her lease was for a year going from July. I thought that it might be good to go with her, since I might opt for the accelerated program.
I am glad to have made the 7 hour drive to BR to check it out for those few hours. I wasn't too sure about it, but I'm happy with my decision now. I went to check out the COP in the evening when the building was empty. i thought about going in during the day to meet Larson, but being the paranoid person I am, I wanted to avoid a possible scenario of pissing him off. i feel like I'm walking on eggshells with a conditional acceptance. Since I've said 'no' to the schools i've heard back from, I will be very dead, if I don't do well in this part II Stats course. I don' think scraping by with a C is hard, but I sat in on this course last winter and didn't have a clue as to what the prof was talking about. It was like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher.
I've been looking into which company I should call for a local service phone hook-up. Preferably, I'd like to go with a service provider that offers a sweet DSL intetnet deal. I'm a little disappointed because it seems like DSL is not an option in BR. Do you have any recommendations?

chunkyb

Yea, um, sorry about the whole trashed apartment, out drinking until 4am the night before, answering the door in my boxers thing. I just cleaned the whole apartment, and it finally looks decent. I can't believe that you made the connection between me and SDN! One thing that canadians always seem to think about the US is that everyone has a gun and shoots each other with it (although come to think of it, I have a gun). I've never heard of the bank giving away shotguns, but that's funny. Big Rapids is in a pretty rural area, and hunting is big around here. The local liquor store is also a gun store (you HAVE to go in there and take some pics of guns and booze for your mom). Across the street seems like a good pick. It's in a pretty nice location, although watch the intersection of Locust and Michigan. There are lots of accidents there. As far as larson goes, I wouldn't worry about him either. The last thing that he wants to have to do is call even more people and beg them to come here. He's a pretty easy-going guy, some people just don't like him. I would accelerate if I were you, since about half of the class chooses to do it. Every person who has accelerated has enjoyed it, and it gets you out out of Big Rapids and into a nicer city even sooner. As far as the COP.. Now that summer classes are in full swing, it's a pretty busy place. You'll have most of your classes in pharm 101 which is the big lecture hall on the end. Classes to hate (and watch out for) your first year include, but are not limited to pharmaceutics and possibly "profession of pharmacy". The rest are not bad at all, and a lot of people liked integrated lab 1. As far as phone, there is either SDG (used to be called ameritech) or AT&T (who can also do your long distance). There is no DSL here yet, but there are cable modems available from Charter Communication (the cable company). I have one here, and it's great. My cable bill is big though. I have full digital and a 1.5mb/s cable modem (+rental fees) and it's about $70 or $75/month. Well good luck with the move. I am taking off from Big Rapids, MI to Glendale, AZ in less than three weeks (33.5 hours) and my parents just started their trip from CA to CO (20 hours with a dog and a cat). Good luck with stats! To bad you weren't around longer, I have plenty of apt stuff that I would have just given you because it costs so much to move. I have that leather couch, chairs, etc..

Jd

JD,
Don't worry about the whole mess thing. My place is usually messier than that. It's so bad that when I get unexpected knocks on my door, I don't even answer it unless I have a chance to tidy things up.

As for the gun thing, I was watching the movie, "Bowling for Columbine" and saw that the bank that offerred free rifles to every new bank customer was in the state of Michigan.

Maybe you want to sell me some of your stuff? I plan to bring down my own desk but i will probably need a couch and a kitchen table or something. I could prob. pay you through paypal or something. The only prob is that my lease doesn't begin until July 1st. i won't even be arriving there until prob. August 20th, so it might be hard to do the furniture thing, if my landlord happens to mind. The apt. is actually vacant right now.