Long DAT breakdown and Retaking

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gia1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there folks,

First, I just want to say thank you to SDN community for thegreat advice and encouragement. Ihonestly couldn’t have done it without you all. And I know what you’re thinking, “this chickhas only ONE post! Should I be suspicious??” Probably, but let me assure you,you shouldn’t—I’m only writing because I know how valuable a detailed post wasto me when I was studying. Alright,enough with the ramble, let’s get this show on the road.:D

I’m a non-traditional student. I started college a year early, and graduatedearly, so after college I wanted to take some time off, and that I did. I wanted to be mentally prepared before Idove into my professional career. I knewthat research, medicine, and dentistry were the careers that interested me themost, and if it weren’t for my time off, I wouldn’t have realized thatdentistry was the right choice for me. No need to go into detail as to how I came to that conclusion, but Idid. One day, I woke and said “I’mtaking the DAT.” I knew nothing aboutthe application cycle, the DAT, NOTHING. Too bad for me it was August. Iknew I was late in the game, but I really didn’t care. I thought to myself if worse comes to worst,I would just take it again (I’m in no rush), and will just get in the nextcycle.

As far as my background in college, I was a pretty solidstudent. My GPA was a 3.5, and Igraduated with cumlaude. I was active innumerous clubs, and organizations. Icompleted my undergraduate research, and my thesis was published shortly aftermy graduation. I knew going into my DAT that I was going to have to CRAM mybutt off (it’s been almost two years since I’ve looked at any sciences!). Itwas the end of August, and I had started nothing! YIKES. It took me about 2-3 weeks to get everythingdone for my applications, and for the DAT, I would say that I studied a solid 2months (taking one week off to visit the boyfriend:laugh:). Yes, most would say that it was extreme, butI really had a lot of refreshing to do. Most people suggest not studying for such long hours, and instead, doingsmall increments a day. Well, I say dowhat’s BEST for YOU. You know what worksfor you, STICK to it. I didn’t score as well as I’d hoped, but given my timeconstraints, I’m proud of myself, and I plan on taking it in 3 months andkicking the dat’s butt! :p

Materials that I used:

Dat Destroyer: (7/10) Usefulness: Undecided.

Math Destroyer: (9/10) barely used it, but I am now kickingmyself in the butt, because this was my lowest score. In fact, it was so lowthat I’m still contemplating on whether or not I should post my score while I’mtyping this due to extreme embarrassment! :eek:Haha Overall, the book it amazing.Wish I would have used it more.

Organic chemistry as a second language I and II:(13/10) WOW, AMAZING.

Barron’s AP Bio: (9/10) good read, wish I had moretime.

Campbell’s: (9/10) Hey, if you have time, I’m sure it’sgreat. Unfortunately, I didn’t have thatluxury.

MCAT hyperlearning books: (10/10)THE best book for g-chem. Period.

Chad’s Videos: (10/10) The best overall source forg-chem. As for o-chem…ehhhh.

Crack Dat Pat: (7.5/10) Pretty solid source.

**I did not use topscore, achiever, or and any old practicetest. The only practice I used forproblems was from the hyperlearning g-chem book, questions from organic chem asa second language, chad’s quizzes, and destroyer chem problems. I never timedmyself, except for the PAT section.

Score: 19 aa/20 ts/20 pat

g-chem: 23

o-chem: 20

bio: 19:sleep:

pat: 20

RC: 18 : -:)thumbdown

QR: No Comment. You don’twant to know. Really.:thumbdown:

Bio: Alright, you all have heard it before, “Bio is sorandom, yada, yada, yada…” Hmm…I had one or two obscure questions but nothingcrazy. I do agree, however, that it ISgeneral info. Now I know telling youguys not to go into detail is difficult, because as you’re studying for bio,you can’t really help but to focus on detail. Please, do not focus so much of your time in bio! Focus on your chems!!I’m a bio major (took classes like physio, virology, microbiology, etc.), andthought the bio section was too vast for me to master in such a short period oftime—taxonomy, eco, evolution, plants???! No, thanks. I read through barron’s twice. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to do thequestions after each chapter and the full-length tests at the end of the book!!Ran out of time. I highly suggest youNOT do this!!! Do as many practice questions as possible. Bio was not impossible as others havesuggested. I used campbell’s for the a few chapters. So detailed, I felt likethe info was leaving my brain as quickly as it was being processed into it. Ido recommend it if you have time, but if not, stick to barron’s and google thestuff you don’t know. DO ALL the practice problems to train your mind ondifferent wording, and it should suffice. I thought I was going to score higher in this section, but I marked afew and ran out of time at the end.

G-chem: Okay, I was most prepared for this section (or so I thought),and felt like this was the “WTF?” section! Yes, I did receive my highest scorein g-chem, but really?? Some of the questions were really just RANDOM! Thecalculations were fair, although very different from anything that I practicedfrom chad’s videos and destroyer. I probably guessed on at least 8 questions,so I have no clue how I pulled it off. Ihad no ph, or redox questions. ::thumb down:: This section really pissed me off, and took up soooo much of mytime!! I guess that’s why they suggestyou time yourself, huh? I kept staring at the same question for tenminutes!!!!! Before I knew it, I HAD 11 minutes left for o-chem!! ELEVEN! I went through o-chem so fast, I barely remember the questions. Seriously. Some questions that required me todo r/s configurations, I marked and guessed bc I didn’t even have time to dothose! Please do not spend so much timeon one section. What a terrible mistake on my part. DO NOT DO THIS. Chad is thebest source out there for g-chem, and when you couple that with thehyperlearning book, you’re set. Do yourselfa favor and subscribe now. As fordestroyer chem, it was a great section in the book, and I learned so much but Icannot realistically say it helped me that much for my DAT.

O-chem: Like I stated, I had eleven minutes. My memory ofthe o-chem questions is vague. Everything was such a blur. No hard reactions at all. What helped me the most was organic chem Iand II as a second language by klein. These books are amazing and klein is BRILLIANT. It was such an easy read. I truly cannot recommend it enough. Chad for o-chem was not so great with theexception of his videos on lab techniques that I found to be quite useful. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any lab questionson my version of the test. Destroyer o-chem was, once again, okay. Don’t get mewrong, you learn A LOT but as far as usefulness for the dat? I could have donewithout. Sure, I hear all the hype about his roadmaps but If you read through klein,the road maps in destroyer are just a quick review. Destroyer is harder than the real dat, but byno means impossible. I’m certain that ifI had more than 11 minutes, I would have gotten 2 or 3 points higher. Use your time wisely. This section is not hard.

Pat: Wow, what can I say? I was scoring between 20-25 oncrack Dat pat. Did each test twice. ThePat section on the dat I felt was harder than crack Dat pat. The reason why I say that it was harder isbecause it was DIFFERENT. So let merephrase, it wasn’t necessarily harder, it was just a lot different than what Ihad practiced. Perhaps achiever isbetter?? It’s worth a try. The cube-counting and paper-folding were onpar with crack dat pat, but TFE, angles, keyholes, and paper-folding were SOdifferent (especially paper-folding and keyhole). I wish I could have scored higher, but mynerves could have gotten the best of me. My suggestion, buy crack dat pat AND achiever. I hear achiever is quite good for thissection.

NOW, for my two worst sections::thumbdown:

RC: I did nothing toprepare for this section. NOTHING. Pleasedon’t underestimate this section. The passagesare LONG. I finished one passage andrealized that I was half way through on time! Towards the end, I literally had9 minutes left with two passages!! Guess what I did? I read the questions only,and used process of elimination. Ianswered the questions without even looking at the passage. Wow, I could be the biggest idiot in theworld. I gained a few points bc my lastpassage had questions on telomeres, so I was familiar with that. At this point, I started crying. :( I didn’t know what to do.

QR: hahahahahahaha! Wow. First, let me just say that I am the WORST math student EVER! I hate itwith every bone in my body. I wentthrough a few tests in destroyer, and told myself that my math was not going toimprove in 3 weeks. Let’s just say afterwriting this lengthy post, I have decided not to post my score (yes, it’s THATBAD). Just know that a 5thgrader is probably better at math than me. The only thing I suggest is math destroyer. If you master destroyer, you’ll be FINE.

All in all, my experience wasn’t too bad. I definitely should have done some practicetest. I know it may seem impossible toyou guys right now, but this test is definitely not something you should beafraid of. I plan on retaking soon. Iknow what to expect now, and I know what to focus on. I know it was lengthy but I had to vent! Goodluck, guys!!!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

i'm also sorry about the word spacing! my computer is crazy!!

Y are you retaking...lol this website sets a false precedent. 17 is the national avg... I got into 3 tops school w/ that score as well a 14 on Math and 16 on reading...lol I would do post-bacc to get more science classes out the way and pray to maintain a 4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? This makes me feel better! Seems like everyone on sdn scores a 20 and up!

You should double check the schools you're applying to though. One of the schools I applied to said they needed a 16 or higher in every section, I'm not sure what other schools require (but if your QR score isn't that bad, then you might be fine).

Last edited:
It's THAT bad. Lol thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it so much.

It's THAT bad. Lol thank you so much for your input! I appreciate it so much.

Ya, before you take the DAT again, call the schools you are interested in and ask their opinions about your QR score. I wouldn't retake unless you absolutely had to. Your numbers are competitive, if you apply broadly, i don't see why you couldn't get into dschool next yer! Good luck!!

Really? This makes me feel better! Seems like everyone on sdn scores a 20 and up!

Yes really, SDN ony represents a small portion of the predental population. Scores are good, really think long and hard about retake because you MUST improve in ALL areas, b/c you took the test already. I know this for a fact....

even if qr was a 15-16 you'd probably be fine for several schools imo.

I'm good at math until you throw word problems at me, then I go blank. I plan to spend a ton of time practicing with math destroyer when the time comes so I hopefully get a decent score.
My strength is chemistry, so hopefully it's as you say, just basic questioning.
PAT, well I have no idea,.....all I know is I have CrackPAT as everyone here has strongly suggested.
RC, I'm not sure how I'll prepare for this but will definitely take practice exams to get an idea of how to tackle it. I read a lot of books, so I hope that helps, but I know I should read more scientific journal articles to become proficient.
Anyway sorry for the ramble, your post helped me think about what I will need to work on in the coming year.
Good luck on your retake!

Yes, the Princeton review mcat hyperlearning book. Borrowed it from a friend. It's great!!! Please use it. Also, I just spoke to nyu admissions, and they told me that the average nyu applicant for 2010 received a 20 aa and 21 ts. Wow, I'm so bummed. Good news, nyu has no cut-off.

@msmouth- you'll be fine. Remember, don't focus on bio so much, nail your chems!! Time yourself for rc. I panicked when I took it bc I had no idea of the format or timing and screwed myself. Also, please use other sources for the pat. Like I stated, crack dat pat was good, but the papperfolding, keyhole, and tfe were very different.

Is there another good source for PAT?

From what I read, use both crack dat pat AND achiever. Achiever seems to fill in some of the holes that crack dat pat lacks in.

After reading some of you all's suggestions, I'm really contemplating on whether I want to retake again. Is a 19/20/20 enough to get me an interview at nyu? I really would like to go there.

After reading some of you all's suggestions, I'm really contemplating on whether I want to retake again. Is a 19/20/20 enough to get me an interview at nyu? I really would like to go there.

Should be. Use the shotgun method. :xf: