Long distance relationship in PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredpt2017

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there,

I have just been accepted into PT school to my top choice and am so excited but the only downside is that it is an 8 hour drive from where I currently have been living/attending my undergrad. I have been in a serious relationship for 3.5 years now and my boyfriend was just offered a job here, therefore our plan of moving together is no longer an option. Just wondering if anyone out there has made the long distance for 3 years work and if there are any tips to surviving the distance while I will be in school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really have any experience with this so I don't know how much help I'll be. But I have a boyfriend who I've been in a relationship with 5 years and we thought I was going to have to move 10 hours away. We kind of made a plan where we would at least try to Skype or talk on the phone at least once a day even if I was studying during that time. We also talked about making sure we would see each other at least once a month, if not more. I just think the best thing you guys can do is make a plan beforehand on how you both can make it work.

Ultimately, if it's meant to he, it'll work out. Hope this helps somewhat!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi,

So my then girlfriend got accepted into a MD program 8 hours from me while I was still applying for PT school. We were together for close to 4 years as well. Things were fine in the beginning. But the stress of Med school and me working all the time definitely took a toll on our relationship. We eventually grew distant and small cracks in our relationship turned into a flood. I still think back to it and wish we could have e handled it better. I know this is probably not the answer you wanted to read but just sharing my story to hopefully warn you. I think if you take the time and both of you are very proactive in making the relationship work then don't lose hope.

On the bright side my cousin has been in a long distance relationship with his girlfriend for 6 years also because of med school and they are getting married this November. So there's hope

Best wishes

Although I am not currently in PT school and have not been accepted anywhere yet - I am in a similar situation as described above so I have some advice to give. Me and my boyfriend have been together for a little over two years now. He started medical school in fall 2016. Although we live in the same town, but not together (he thought it would be a better idea to live with people in his class his first year), it has been extremely challenging. My advice to you is to talk with your boyfriend about the sacrifices both of you will have to make if you want to make it work. Communication is key in this situation. Your boyfriend will need to understand how busy you will be with classes, studying, and just being stressed 24/7. He'll also have to understand that not all of the free time you have will be for him. You're going to want to spend time with your classmates outside of class, lab, and study sessions. Whether it's getting together for a drink after a hard week or playing on a local club sports team. I know this was extremely difficult for me to deal with and accept at first. I was so used to having his undivided attention prior to him starting medical school it was sort of a shock to me. We fought all the time in the beginning and things are still slowly improving each day. Not going to lie, it's really tough. I can completely understand the "small cracks turning into a flood". However, if you are willing to put the hard work in to make your relationship succeed you guys should be okay. For me, I had to put myself in his shoes and think how things would be if the roles were reversed - if I was the one in PT school and he was the one working full time, stuck in limbo, waiting to hear back from med schools. I had to understand that he is at least making an effort with the little spare time he has. I guess just make sure you work on communication and making time for each other at least once a week. I meet mine once during the week for a quick coffee date and spend one weekend afternoon/evening doing something fun together. Other than that, we usually go the whole week without talking except good morning/goodnight texts and quick phone calls. I read somewhere that professional school will make great relationships greater and bad relationships worse. Not sure if this is what you want to hear but hope it helps at least a little!

Reactions: 1 user