Long Road Ahead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to get straight to the point, but my question has a lot of qualitative crap to go with it as well.

I have a 3.7 GPA, with just one year of biology(4.0) with lab. I'm planning on taking Chemistry over the summer at a local uni, followed by ochem and physics during the fall/spring. Should I take other classes?

I also have no experience shadowing or volunteering, but I just spent 6 months taking care of sick family member on hospice who died (50+ hours a week) so I feel I have some exposure to know what I'm getting myself into. Is this experience enough to carry me through to medical school?

I looked into all the post bacc's and everything, and ultimately it seemed I'm in the 'do it yourself' category because my GPA is fine. Is that correct? I know it's a weird broad question, but am I missing anything?

Thaaanks..

Members don't see this ad.

A lot will depend on your MCAT score. Timing may be a bit tricky as you are still doing your pre-requisites, but I'm sure you don't want to wait any longer than you have to before applying. Put in the time to study in addition to adding to your healthcare volunteering and experience.

Also, spend some time on creating your school list. It will help you to motivate and target what you need to do if you have researched the schools well and know exactly where and why you want to apply. For example, some schools will definitely want you to add to your research experience, others won't care as much.

I'm with Regis on this one. A lot depends on your MCAT score, but your current GPA is fine and most non-trads end up on the DIY requirement completion route. You'll need those science courses to help you study for the MCAT, and will likely need some shadowing exposure just to show that you've thought the physician route out thoroughly.

The volunteering portion may not be as much required. I know as a non-trad they look at us a little differently, so if you're holding down a full-time job while going to school then you schould be able to forego the massive volunteering. Just pick one activity that interests you and do that. Also, you'll likely still need the shadowing, as they'll ask you 'why do you want change and be a doctor?' and that will be personal, but also reaffirmed by the shadowing.