Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Long term adderall side effects

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by mpompliano, Dec 28, 2016.

1. mpompliano

Pre-Medical
    Hi guys, sorry if this isn't the appropriate place to post but I'm seeking more information on the long-term side effects of adderall and am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Specifically, my concern is that adderall is similar to cocaine, and I always hear about cocaine and cardiomyopathy, sudden cardiac death, etc, but never with adderall. Is there an actual difference between the two drugs that account for this or does using adderall still put you at risk for these cardiac side effects?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist
    Psychologist

Psychologist
    Probably have better luck with moving this one over to the psychiatry forum. You'll get a more nuanced answer, sometimes.

4. SterlingMaloryArcher

Pre-Medical
    It can raise your blood pressure over time leading to an enlarged heart. This is why blood pressure is particularly paid attention to on Adderall checkups. It is obviously a little different from cocaine.

5. G Costanza

G Costanza Psychologist - Private Practice

Psychologist
    Not sure if this is helpful but Adderall is chemically closer to meth than cocaine. The only real difference is that meth crosses the blood-brain barrier at a much faster rate (causing addiction and a more intense high) and obviously has a lot of extra toxins that are pretty unhealthy.

Long term Adderall abuse use may be linked to long term lower levels of dopamine. I have yet to read anything about long term cardiac problems, but I also haven’t been in that lit for some time.

The suggestion to ask the psychiatry sub forum is a good one.

SterlingMaloryArcher likes this.
  6. hamstergang

hamstergang may or may not contain hamsters

Attending Physician
    OP already took that advice 11 months ago.

7. G Costanza

G Costanza Psychologist - Private Practice

Psychologist
    Ha! Missed the date on that one.