-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Long term joint/bone damage from standing all day?
Started by beng
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If we sat at desks all day, we'd end up obese, which ALSO is hard on joints and bones! I think mobility and movement is good, and definitely wouldn't worry about it. Stay in shape and exercise and joint health will not be as much of an issue, if it ever is.
I don't think the joints are an issue. But...I know lots of pharmacists with back problems! Take good care of your back from the beginning!!!
There are other issues with female pharmacists over many years of standing. I won't bore you the details since its probably more than at least half of you want to know about. pm if you want more info. I don't know the unique details male pharmacists encounter 😉 .
Enjoy - I'd do it all over again, but perhaps differently physically! 😀
There are other issues with female pharmacists over many years of standing. I won't bore you the details since its probably more than at least half of you want to know about. pm if you want more info. I don't know the unique details male pharmacists encounter 😉 .
Enjoy - I'd do it all over again, but perhaps differently physically! 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I heard you get spider veins. Is this true?
Mangosteen said:I heard you get spider veins. Is this true?
ahh....I hope not! 😱
beng said:Hey just curious, is there going to be long term damage (60's 70's...even 40's and 50's) from being a pharmacist and doing standing work? Seems that all the strain on the knees and other joints could cause some serious problems down the road.
however, weight bearing exercise helps maintain bone density and aids in the prevention of osteoporosis...
I think it comes down to good posture and good shoes.
sdn1977 said:There are other issues with female pharmacists over many years of standing. I won't bore you the details since its probably more than at least half of you want to know about. pm if you want more info. I don't know the unique details male pharmacists encounter 😉 .
😀
Just go ahead and spill it! I think all of are curious now. 😳Varicose veins are more frequent in any profession where you stand all day like most pharmacists do. I think the compression stockings are really supposed to help.Mangosteen said:I heard you get spider veins. Is this true?
I second that!pharmagirl said:Just go ahead and spill it! I think all of are curious now. 😳
😀
Now i wanna know to.....does it have something to do with child bearing 🙁 ? that's my greatest concern.... 😀
sdn1977 said:I don't think the joints are an issue. But...I know lots of pharmacists with back problems! Take good care of your back from the beginning!!!
There are other issues with female pharmacists over many years of standing. I won't bore you the details since its probably more than at least half of you want to know about. pm if you want more info. I don't know the unique details male pharmacists encounter 😉 .
Enjoy - I'd do it all over again, but perhaps differently physically! 😀
Now i wanna know to.....does it have something to do with child bearing 🙁 ? that's my greatest concern.... 😀
We'll be able to afford plastic surgery. Bring the obesity! I'll lipo it out!
Wha?! The techs are the only ones who stand up and walk around where I work, the pharmacists sit on their skinny a$$es all day. (Don't ask me how they stay skinny--probably liposuction like WVU suggested)
I just started a 12 week summer internship with Walgreens.
There are no chairs and no stools in our pharmacy. Hardly any place to prop a foot up for weight-shifting either. It bites.
I also noticed that the Walgreens pharmacists never take much of a break. Maybe a minute or two to eat something. The male pharmacist eats on his feet. The female pharmacist squats on this little stepladder thingy to eat.
My feet hurt like crazy! I use my periodic bathroom breaks as time to relax. They probably think something's wrong with me because every time I stay a little longer in the bathroom, just to sit for a few minutes. My new nickname is probably gonna be Number 2. 😛
My old pharmacy had ample chairs and stools, plus plenty of places to lean. 🙁
There are no chairs and no stools in our pharmacy. Hardly any place to prop a foot up for weight-shifting either. It bites.
I also noticed that the Walgreens pharmacists never take much of a break. Maybe a minute or two to eat something. The male pharmacist eats on his feet. The female pharmacist squats on this little stepladder thingy to eat.
My feet hurt like crazy! I use my periodic bathroom breaks as time to relax. They probably think something's wrong with me because every time I stay a little longer in the bathroom, just to sit for a few minutes. My new nickname is probably gonna be Number 2. 😛
My old pharmacy had ample chairs and stools, plus plenty of places to lean. 🙁
I work at Walgreens as a pharmacy clerk and I am already feeling the effects of standing ALL DAY! However, we get to wear any shoes we want, as long as it's not white. So my first day, I wore dress shoes and my feet hurt like CRAZY!~!!
Then I realized EVERYONE wears tennis shoes. I wear some Nike Air MAx shoes so now my feet don't hurt as much. Try it out!
Then I realized EVERYONE wears tennis shoes. I wear some Nike Air MAx shoes so now my feet don't hurt as much. Try it out!
eddie269 said:I work at Walgreens as a pharmacy clerk and I am already feeling the effects of standing ALL DAY! However, we get to wear any shoes we want, as long as it's not white. So my first day, I wore dress shoes and my feet hurt like CRAZY!~!!
Then I realized EVERYONE wears tennis shoes. I wear some Nike Air MAx shoes so now my feet don't hurt as much. Try it out!
We had a female pharmacist that wore nothing but dress shoes! Man! Anytime an intern comes in all dressed up with high heels on it really gets me. I am a female, but you can believe that I will not be standing up in heels all day. I will be wearing my crocs, or whatever regular comfortable shoe I can find! 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I bought some Dansko's today. They are cute but they were pricey. I hope they help!
Your post really cracked me up!All4MyDaughter said:My feet hurt like crazy! I use my periodic bathroom breaks as time to relax. They probably think something's wrong with me because every time I stay a little longer in the bathroom, just to sit for a few minutes. My new nickname is probably gonna be Number 2. 🙁
I just started back to work for the summer and my feet have been killing me. I thought I was the only one that spent a little extra time in the bathroom just to rest my feet.
I try not to stay too long so it doesn't look weird, but it just feels great to be able to rest my feet for even 60 seconds.Be sure and post in the shoe thread and let us know what you think of the Dansko's. What kind did you get? I got the professional style clogs and today was day 4 with them. They are soo hard, but supposedly you get used to that after a few days. 🙂All4MyDaughter said:I bought some Dansko's today. They are cute but they were pricey. I hope they help!
pharmagirl said:Your post really cracked me up!I just started back to work for the summer and my feet have been killing me. I thought I was the only one that spent a little extra time in the bathroom just to rest my feet.
I try not to stay too long so it doesn't look weird, but it just feels great to be able to rest my feet for even 60 seconds.
Be sure and post in the shoe thread and let us know what you think of the Dansko's. What kind did you get? I got the professional style clogs and today was day 4 with them. They are soo hard, but supposedly you get used to that after a few days. 🙂
I already go to the bathroom more than other people (a problem I've had since my pregnancy and subsequent c-section. So maybe I can use that excuse at work!
I agree the Danskos are hard, but the guy at the shoe store said that was what I needed, support. I dunno, we'll see!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K