Long vs. Dell vs. McGovern vs. UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cn9hbl

Reaction score
To preface, I am from West Texas, but familiar with Houston/Galveston (went to A&M). I am interested in urology. I appreciate any feedback anyone can provide! Thank you all so much!

UT Long

Pros:

Strong match list, closest to home, highest ranked, PA school (girlfriend is applying PA), many home residencies, good vibes during interview

Cons:

H/HP/P/F, not sure if I really like San Antonio, seems a bit cutthroat

UT Dell

Pros:

Incredibly strong match list and step scores, P/F, UT-Austin system behind you, Austin is cool

Cons:

Rotation sites are subpar, not nearly as many home residencies, still “new”, no PA school in Austin, COL

UT McGovern

Pros: TMC, several friends that attend, very well-established and respected, incredible opportunities for research and networking, PA school in Houston, home residencies for just about every specialty

Cons: graded after first semester, Houston is 7 hours from my hometown, COL

UTMB

Pros: true P/F, home residences in most every specialty, I kinda prefer the small town vibe of Galveston, just seems like a happy place all around, PA school at UTMB, good research opportunities

Cons: super far from my hometown, not sure if it’s ranked as highly as the others, interview day was meh (didn’t have a “spark” at this school)

Members don't see this ad.

From my perspective UTMB seems like the winner here despite not having a spark, with McGovern a close second due to the graded curriculum and higher COL. Could you elaborate more on what was lacking at UTMB? Was there just not as much "woo" factor in the presentations? I have several friends who went to UTMB and loved it. UTMB also is perfectly fine in terms of rank, I don't think you will be limited there at all. Someone else please chime in if I am mistaken about anything here.

In addition, PA school is hard to get into and she may not have a whole lot of choice in the matter... that's another reason I would suggest one of the two schools in Houston because that will increase the chances that she can attend a PA school in the same general area as you.

Good luck - you're in a great position!

Reactions: 1 user
I’m very much wondering what your thoughts are now as I choose between McGovern and dell 😳